cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto startup app on oculus go

kibit85
Honored Guest
Hi, i need to develop an app for a museum with oculus go. I need to automatically start my application at 9:00 am at every day.
In a previous version with Gear 360 i do that creating a service apk that runs my apk. Than my app uses a server-client protocol to connect to a tablet and from that tablet i can control all the system with an app.

So, can I install that service on oculus go to? Or there is any way to run my app remotely from a tablet or computer or phone?
20 REPLIES 20

mouse_bear
Retired Support
@kibit85 Thank you for your feedback. This functionality is currently not available and is a popular request among our community. I'll pass it along to our internal team to review.

jonio
Honored Guest
@NinjaGaijin any progress on this update? It is a very important feature when developing for B2B. We have multiple clients that we would like to switch to Oculus GO and the feature is crucial for the easy use of the solutions.

Also, do you plan to enable using Oculus GO without a controller? For many solutions starting an app and using gaze control is enough.

Please let me know.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just as long as there is a simple override. 

It would be nice to have an auto start option, but how long before someone messes up and you need to hardware reset. Or even more likely, some a*hole decides to create a virus or form of ransomware.

So, yes to an option but it *MUST* have a simple way to override it and thus easily prevent any malicious behaviour or accidents!

jackbriars
Honored Guest

kibit85 said:

Hi, i need to develop an app for a museum with oculus go. I need to automatically start my application at 9:00 am at every day.
In a previous version with Gear 360 i do that creating a service apk that runs my apk. Than my app uses a server-client protocol to connect to a tablet and from that tablet i can control all the system with an app.

So, can I install that service on oculus go to? Or there is any way to run my app remotely from a tablet or computer or phone?

Did you manage to get around the auto start issue in the end? we have managed the tablet control once in our app but still have the remote to contend with. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

kibit85 said:

Did you manage to get around the auto start issue in the end? we have managed the tablet control once in our app but still have the remote to contend with. 

I am also very interested in any suggested solution to this issue. Teaching a classroom of VR newcomers to use the Oculus Go remote for the sole purpose of getting the app started is not ideal.

morelanj
Honored Guest
Anyone figured out a solution for this yet? I'm also very interested in auto start for classroom use to save time getting started.

jonalexfilms
Honored Guest
This is huge.  Come Oculus team, we're counting on you

adriaanrijkens
Honored Guest
Yes, when will this be coming? And also when is the controller-free Oculus Go coming. These are some really simple features that make it a lot easier for the Oculus Community to get Oculus Go's out in the open where millions of people who do not yet own an Oculus Go can already experience it.... I really do not understand why Oculus is so hesitant about making your own device a success. 

robert_ottinger
Explorer
We also have this need for several customers and use cases. Any timeline for this? Anyone from Oculus looking at this thread?