sRGB render target issue — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

sRGB render target issue

I created an sRGB render target + view and my app clearly appears too bright in the HMD. I used:
    desc.Format = OVR_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM_SRGB;    desc.MiscFlags = ovrTextureMisc_None;
and verified that ovr_CreateTextureSwapChainDX() returns a DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM_SRGB texture.

Checking the Tiny Room sample, I was surprised to find that it doesn't follow the guideline from:

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-render/

and creates a non-sRGB view for the sRGB render target. I am puzzled, can somebody explain what is going on?

OculusRoomTiny: main.cpp:
    bool Init(ovrSession session, int sizeW, int sizeH)    {        Session = session;
        ovrTextureSwapChainDesc desc = {};        desc.Type = ovrTexture_2D;        desc.ArraySize = 1;        desc.Format = OVR_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM_SRGB;        desc.Width = sizeW;        desc.Height = sizeH;        desc.MipLevels = 1;        desc.SampleCount = 1;        desc.MiscFlags = ovrTextureMisc_DX_Typeless;        desc.BindFlags = ovrTextureBind_DX_RenderTarget;        desc.StaticImage = ovrFalse;
        ovrResult result = ovr_CreateTextureSwapChainDX(session, DIRECTX.Device, &desc, &TextureChain);        if (!OVR_SUCCESS(result))            return false;
        int textureCount = 0;        ovr_GetTextureSwapChainLength(Session, TextureChain, &textureCount);        for (int i = 0; i < textureCount; ++i)        {            ID3D11Texture2D* tex = nullptr;            ovr_GetTextureSwapChainBufferDX(Session, TextureChain, i, IID_PPV_ARGS(&tex));            D3D11_RENDER_TARGET_VIEW_DESC rtvd = {};            rtvd.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM;            rtvd.ViewDimension = D3D11_RTV_DIMENSION_TEXTURE2D;            ID3D11RenderTargetView* rtv;            DIRECTX.Device->CreateRenderTargetView(tex, &rtvd, &rtv);            TexRtv.push_back(rtv);            tex->Release();        }
        return true;    }
Tagged: