cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Android Background Services possible on Oculus GO?

robert_schmitz_
Honored Guest
Hello!

We are planning a client-server architecture in a project in which an app implements a background service that delivers information to client VR apps. In a standard Android environment this approach is not a problem - my question is whether this approach can also work on the Oculus Go.

I hope you can help me with this question. Thank you very much.
4 REPLIES 4

Heaney-555
Heroic Explorer
Why would the server need to be in VR?

Just run a standard web server and deliver the information with standard networking.

As long as the Go app is running, it can recieve packets like any other Android app.

robert_schmitz_
Honored Guest

Why would the server need to be in VR?

Just run a standard web server and deliver the information with standard networking.

Hi and thanks for your Message. Its not a standard webserver use case, and i cant do it this way. I need a custom server running on the device to establish a connection to a embedded device in my wifi.

Please see my explaining picture.

wlvmijdx6t90.png

robert_schmitz_
Honored Guest
While only one client app is receiving at a time, the server must be alive and forwarding in background. No problem in vanilla android, but i dont know if its possible/allowed in the android fork tailored for the Oculus GO.

lordmortis
Honored Guest
I'm very interested in this as well. We'd like to have assets pre-cached for users and a background service seems the best way to achieve this.