Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums will be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.
New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

What happened to the NearStereoFarMono Unity sample?

OasisFirewallOasisFirewall Posts: 3 Oculus Start Member
The scene / prefabs and materials for the sample Mono Optimization seem to be missing from the Unity Sample Project 1.27 and up. Only the scripts and shader remain. I tried using the missing files from 1.25 in Unity 2018.2 but they dont work properly. The left eye works great but the right eye is offset slightly wrong and I cant seem to fix it. Could that be why the files have been removed from 1.27-1.28?

I've tried messing with the old files in all kinds of ways to try make it work, but ive only succeeded in making the problem worse... -_-

Might anyone have any insight on what happened to this rendering technique or better yet, how to get it working again?

Answers

• Heaney-555Heaney-555 Posts: 100 Oculus Start Member
    Apparently with Single Pass Stereo there aren't much advantages to it anymore - it was a hack back in the Multi Pass days.
  • OasisFirewallOasisFirewall Posts: 3 Oculus Start Member
    With Monoscopic enabled a scene has half the amount of triangles and vertices. When theres lots of objects in the distance that still seems like a performance gain to me. Might you have any references links to info on Single Pass Stereo making a mono/stereo hybrid camera obsolete?
  • imperativityimperativity Posts: 3,587 Valuable Player
    @4Alexander2

Yes, we removed it since there are some conflicts between the old demo and Asymmetric FOV.
  • OasisFirewallOasisFirewall Posts: 3 Oculus Start Member
    @imperativity
    Thanks for info. Are the conflicts likely to be resolved in the future?
  • imperativityimperativity Posts: 3,587 Valuable Player
    @4Alexander2

This sample isn't a priority at the moment, but if others developers were interested in this sample being fixed and revamped I could pass this feedback along internally.