Did I install OSP for Wwise correctly? — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Did I install OSP for Wwise correctly?

TyhoffmanTyhoffman Posts: 13
NerveGear
edited September 2018 in Unreal Development
Hello,

I have a quick question regarding the proper install of the OSP for Unreal and Wwise on a Windows x64 machine. All the steps are straight forward except for the copy/paste of the .h header code. It says you only need to do that if you use the PC SDK. I do not have the PC SDK installed, do I need that for it all to run correctly? It connects to Wwise and Unreal and sounds good, but when I build the game and use the Wwise profiler on the build it says the Oculus Plugin is not registered. I hear sounds, and it sounds different than turning the OSP off in Wwise, so it must be working...I think.

I am using Wwise 2017.1.9.6501 in UE4.18.3 on Windows x64 with the ovr_audio_spatializer_Wwise_1.27.0

I get this when I start UE: LogHMD: Oculus plugin initialized. Version: 4.18.3-3832480+++UE4+Release-4.18, OVRPlugin: 1.19.0

I get this upon build: 
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   [OVRPlugin][ERROR] [CAPI] LibOVR module location lookup failed.[OVRPlugin][ERROR] ovr_GetAudioDeviceInGuidStr failed:
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   [OVRPlugin][ERROR] Cannot get preferred VR audio IN device.[OVRPlugin][ERROR] ovr_GetAudioDeviceOutGuidStr failed:
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   [OVRPlugin][ERROR] Cannot get preferred VR audio OUT device.
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   [OVRPlugin][INFO] Connected to the server running version (prod = 1).1.30.0(build = 676007) feature version = 0. Client runs version (prod = 1).1.30.0(build = 0) feature version = 0[OVRPlugin][INFO] IAD changed to 60.8mm

Another issue is when I did try to copy/paste the code into the .cpp file, I received syntax errors upon build and a failed build.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tyler

Comments

• PetrozaPetroza Posts: 147 Oculus Staff
    edited September 2018
    Hi Tyler,

I just want to confirm the details to make sure I understand the problem. The module lookup errors all appear to be related to the Oculus SDK, so I think the problem you're having isn't with Wwise or the Oculus Spatializer (Audio SDK), but with the libOVR (Oculus SDK) part. These are separate so it's not surprising that the spatial audio is working, even though you're getting errors with the Oculus SDK.

Another issue is when I did try to copy/paste the code into the .cpp file, I received syntax errors upon build and a failed build.
    I'm guessing the code you're trying to copy/paste is the audio redirection code from here: https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-vr-audio/

Assuming that is the case, I'll see if I can find someone that knows that part of the system better than I do to help you out. Just one quick question: do you have an Oculus Rift and the Oculus software installed on this machine you're testing with?

Cheers,
    Pete

• TyhoffmanTyhoffman Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    edited September 2018
    Hey Petroza,

I appreciate the reply. I have not seen that documentation yet! The code I am talking about is what the OSP calls for from the OculusSpatializer.h header that needs to be placed into the AkAudioDevice.cpp. I've made a previous post that may add information to my dilemma. I'll post a link here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69248/osp-integration-in-wwise-in-unreal-code-syntax-issues#latest

My guess is that it's because I am not using a custom UE4 build from your Github that has the PC SDK and whatnot all already embedded? 

And yes, I have an Oculus Rift and the Oculus software installed. I did use the "OculusMover" program to move my installed games to a different drive. Could that have an impact on this?

Thanks,

Tyler

Edit: Added correct link.
    NerveGear
    edited September 2018
    -deleted-
    Hi Tyler,

I just heard from one of the engineers that works on the UE integration and he said these warnings are benign so it's nothing to worry about. This was fixed in 1.29 which is available on the Oculus Github, that will filter into the mainline UE release in the future, but for now it should be safe to ignore the errors.

-Pete
    NerveGear
    edited September 2018
    Okay, cool. Thanks!

So to recap my setup:
    Everything sounds great in editor, and when I comment out that code in the .cpp file, it builds fine, but when I run the Wwise profiler, it says that the OSP is an "unregistered plugin." I can take screenshots tonight. Funny thing is, it sounds better in the build than the editor even when it says that the plugin failed to register. Should I even worry about it since it sounds fine? The only issue I get after that is that my surface materials don't switch and stay on the default surface material. I think that is just something I need to figure out with Wwise though.

Questions I would love answered:
    • Do I need a custom build of UE4 from Github with the PC SDK installed?
    • Is it okay that I don't have the PC SDK installed? If not, how do I add that to my UE4 version? Can I, or would I need a Github build?
    • Should I integrate the 1.29 OSP? https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/oculus-spatializer-wwise/
    • Could someone help me out with the OculusSpatializer.h code and figure out why I'm getting syntax errors (if I need that code in the AkAudioDevice.cpp).
    Thanks,

Tyler
    edited September 2018
    Hi Tyler,

I checked with the UE4 expert here are the answers:

• Do I need a custom build of UE4 from Github with the PC SDK installed?
    No you should be able to use the vanilla UE4 engine.
    • Is it okay that I don't have the PC SDK installed? If not, how do I add that to my UE4 version? Can I, or would I need a Github build?
    Yes that should be fine, you should only need the Oculus runtime software installed.
    It's up to you but you don't have to update the spatializer, that said it's often good to grab the latest version to have all the latest fixes and optimizations.
    • Could someone help me out with the OculusSpatializer.h code and figure out why I'm getting syntax errors (if I need that code in the AkAudioDevice.cpp).
    I don't _think_ you need that code for UE4, but I might be wrong about that - I haven't set this up myself. There are instructions in the Wwise docs for loading a plugin with Wwise UE4 integration here: https://www.audiokinetic.com/library/edge/?source=UE4&id=using__initialsetup.html

That might be a good starting point. If that still not working I can ask around.
    NerveGear
    Hey Petroza,

Thank you and thank you to all the engineers that you contacted to help out. This ~85% completes my own personal documentation on how to set all this up. I'm glad to know that I've been doing it correctly, but just had some minor bugs and snags that seem to just be "cosmetic" from my understanding now. I really would appreciate it if you helped me do some further digging for if I absolutely need the code from the OculusSpatializer.h that's in the "include" folder when you download the OSP for Wwise inserted into the AkAudioDevice.cpp code (located in the Wwise project), just to make sure. It seems to work without it.

I'm going to make a video of the whole process to help other people that are struggling! This has been quite the adventure making all the pieces fit.

If there's anything I can do to help you such as filling out a survey of some sorts, I would love to. You've saved me hours of troubleshooting. I appreciate your time very much!

Thank you!

Tyler Hoffman
    NerveGear
    edited September 2018
    Heya Pete, 

Quick little update: I updated to the 1.29 OSP. Some sound attenuation and early reflections seemed to have changed slightly, but with some tweaks I think it sounds even better!
    The profiler still says it's not registered, but the advanced profiler still shows the signal going through it. And it sounds better/different than bypassing the plugin. Interesting. Do you think I might have something incorrectly setup still? I'll attach an image of the profiler when I open the build. Again, this is only in a built version of the game.
    (The bottom notification is because I did not have my Oculus on my head yet, or so I've come to think)