Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums will be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.
New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Oculus Quest

wirelitesoft.devwirelitesoft.dev Posts: 53 Oculus Start Member
How can I get my hands on an oculus quest so I can start developing on it?

Comments

• wirelitesoft.devwirelitesoft.dev Posts: 53 Oculus Start Member
  • maxBrmaxBr Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    Until they are shipping them (i would like to get my hands on one too btw), in one of the oc5 lectures they said something like: "you can start developing for the quest today. the controls (keymapping) are identical to the rift."
    Because it uses a 835 chip, use old school modelling techniques/strategy.

edited September 29
    maxBr said:
    Until they are shipping them (i would like to get my hands on one too btw), in one of the oc5 lectures they said something like: "you can start developing for the quest today. the controls (keymapping) are identical to the rift."
    Because it uses a 835 chip, use old school modelling techniques/strategy.

I watched a video and the chinese guy at OC5 said that a few developers already have dev units and they are creating a lot of games in the next 6 months. I want to be one of them devs that release when it comes out too. i didn't hear anything about the mappings being the same though. I hope @imperativity can give us some in site into how we too can be on the for-front.
  • xind.liuxind.liu Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    We are developing a PvP fighting game, that we think will work SOOO well in Quest, so we really want the game to work too, hope we can join (or atlease apply to) the forementioned developer' group too!
    I want it so i can start building an arena out of boxes and start making a game for pvp as well
  • imperativityimperativity Posts: 3,587 Valuable Player
    edited October 3
    @wirelitesoft.dev

There is no program in place for these requests.

The controller mapping is going to be equivalent to that of Rift, fwiw.
  • andy.czerwinskiandy.czerwinski Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    @imperativity As @wirelitesoft.dev said even though the controls may be the same as a rift the real power of the quest is the arena scale mapping and game development. For that you need access to the 'oculus insight' and static shared mapping that was demoed at oc5. I'd also be interested in how you could map or track other devices (E.g. guns) and not just the touch controllers. For that you need access to the hardware and sdks
  • owenwpowenwp Posts: 668 Oculus Start Member
    It might be helpful for gameplay design if there were a debug mode for the Rift that emulated the touch tracking volume limitations of the Quest.
    Sanzaru - Programmer
    owenwp said:
    It might be helpful for gameplay design if there were a debug mode for the Rift that emulated the touch tracking volume limitations of the Quest.
    I agree but the tracking is done by the tracking cameras on the front of the quest.
  • owenwpowenwp Posts: 668 Oculus Start Member
    That's the point, the software could determine if your hand would be outside of the FOV of those cameras, if the Rift had them, and then have the API respond accordingly. Even if you have a real Quest that would save development time.
    Sanzaru - Programmer
  • ancientcancientc Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited October 30
    In case I would "magically" get an Oculus Quest I would create a special edition of my "Fractal Flow VR Lucid Dreaming" for it in max three weeks. Just a message for my guardian angels :smiley: http://ancientc.com/fractal-flow-vr-lucid-dreaming/ @imperativity @wirelitesoft.dev #christmascoming #youneverknow #enlightenyourmind

• AstaMaStaarAstaMaStaar Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited November 14
    Hello. We are developing software and applications for the physical reality and would like to purchase a new Oculus Quest as soon as possible to adapt the work for it. Is it possible to purchase new Oculus this year ???
  • earth0earth0 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    imperativity I hear there is no thumbrest pad on the Quest? If so that's not a direct mapping.

For getting the quest, most likely Oculus is talking with existing titles of some significance to port to the Quest. So for the rest of us, unless you have something comparable you won't be getting much

• bkjbkj Posts: 99 Oculus Start Member
    Oculus Quest Dev Kits:
    We've noticed that many of you have been emailing us asking about Oculus Quest dev kits. You may have seen this new paragraph on our Oculus Start Member's page: Oculus Quest developer kits are very limited. Should this change in the future, we will be sure to let the Oculus Start community know first. We encourage you to develop for 6DOF by building your app for the Oculus Rift, from which you can migrate to the Oculus Quest with some optimization and integration changes.

We recognize that this may not seem very helpful (or happy news). We greatly appreciate your interest in developing for Oculus Quest. As a new category of device, we are working with select developers for the initial line-up of launch titles. As such, we do not have a developer kit request program for Oculus Quest at this time.

As mentioned in the webpage, we recommend developing for 6DoF on Rift in the meantime as we further define the Oculus Quest Store guidelines. We know we will be looking for fully immersive VR titles with depth and delight that will match consumer expectations but are aiming to provide more clarity as we approach Spring 2019. Then, in Spring 2019, you can purchase a consumer device to begin porting to Oculus Quest should your app match the Quest Store criteria.

• andy.czerwinskiandy.czerwinski Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    hmm - that response doesnt actually cover the requirements that most of us are asking. The Rift doesnt have inside-out tracking so how can you code using that?
  • bkjbkj Posts: 99 Oculus Start Member
    The Rift doesnt have inside-out tracking so how can you code using that?

It doesn't matter, you will receive position and rotation data of the controllers the same way. Bigger problem is perfomance issues while PC has up to 500W to burn you have only 4W with mobile VR.

bkj said:
    The Rift doesnt have inside-out tracking so how can you code using that?

It doesn't matter, you will receive position and rotation data of the controllers the same way. Bigger problem is perfomance issues while PC has up to 500W to burn you have only 4W with mobile VR.

the quest can track boxes that you make a playing field out of. you can't do this type of testing without the quest.
    with a rift you stuck however far your cord can reach, and we all know it don't reach very far.