Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Where are files stored/how to store files in an accessible location?

VR-Lab-nlVR-Lab-nl Posts: 28
Brain Burst
In my game I am creating text files on the Oculus Go but they do not show up when connect the Go and search for them using Windows Explorer. We need to be able to read these files outside the game.
How/where I can access these files through Explorer or where can we write to in order to be able to access them? (we have tried using the '/mnt/sdcard/' and '/sdcard/' paths)
UE 4.19

Tagged:

Comments

• VR-Lab-nlVR-Lab-nl Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    Just to add: using 'FPaths::ConvertRelativePathToFull' (and the likes) only shown '../../../[path]'
    Brain Burst
    *bump*
    Nobody knows how to do this? Not even the Oculus crew?
    Brain Burst
    @imperativity you seem to know a lot about developing for the Go,can you provide me with any info or pointers which can guide towards a working solution?
  • aussieburgerVRaussieburgerVR Posts: 189 Oculus Start Member
    did you check in:

This PC\VR-Headset\Internal shared storage\Android\data\com.yourcompany.yourprojectname\files\UE4Game\yourprojectname\yourprojectname\Saved

and in:

This PC\VR-Headset\Internal shared storage\UE4Game\yourprojectname\yourprojectname\Saved

these are the two locations UE4 uses by default for save locations depending on your setting for "Use ExternalFileDir for UE4Game files"

Brain Burst
    @aussieburgerVR and @imperativity thanks for your info.

Seems 2 issues were preventing me of seeing correct results:
    1. When using the UE4 'FFileHelper' the files are always created within the Game folders. No matter whether you set "Use ExternalFileDir for UE4Game files" and use "/[mnt/]sdcard/" as prefix.
    2. Newly created files and folders are not immediately displayed in the Windows Explorer. Only after rebooting the headset they become visible.

Wondering whether these should be reported as (UE4 and Oculus Go/Android) bugs..

• SorciumGamesSorciumGames Posts: 7 Oculus Start Member
    Glad you found a solution. Could you post the full path and steps used to access the files externally from UE4? That would be very helpful. I'm trying to do something similar to load in many text files.
    Brain Burst
    We ended up writing a basic file handler for this, using std::ofstream (http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/fstream/ofstream/ & http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/files/).
    Didn't dive further into exploring the possibilities the FFileHelper offers after we found out about the 'restart-the-Go-to-see-new-files' bug. So it might be the helper also lets you handle files outside the game directory but we just did not see them because of the bug.

Anyway, you want to start the path with /sdcard/, from there you can use/create your own directory names.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more info.

• steveharis22steveharis22 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    did you check in:

This PC\VR-Headset\Internal shared storage\Android\data\com.yourcompany.yourprojectname\files\UE4Game\yourprojectname\yourprojectname\Saved

and in:

This PC\VR-Headset\Internal shared storage\UE4Game\yourprojectname\yourprojectname\Saved

these are the two locations UE4 uses by default for save locations depending on your setting for "Use ExternalFileDir for UE4Game files"

Thank you for the help. I am trying this. Hopefully it will work for me as files data of 

Tellthebell