Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Introducing artificial latency

manolotismanolotis Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hello!
I am working on an experiment for which I need to introduce latency in the rendering of the headset, but I need to be able to control how much latency (somewhere between 100ms and 2 seconds). This way, if the user performs an action, it will be reflected on what he sees after this simulated latency time has passed. 

Initially, my idea was to "take" the input from the headset, accumulate all the frames in some sort of queue, and after the specified latency value, pass them back to the headset. However, after doing some research online, I could not find any similar existing projects, and unfortunately I am not experienced enough to develop my own solution from scratch. Do you know a relatively straightforward way of achieving this setup? I would greatly appreciate anything ranging from an already existing similar project, to some simple pointers.

Thank you for the help! 

Answers

• hkarrsonhkarrson Posts: 12 Oculus Start Member
    edited October 2018
    Time.timeScale can be set to 0 to pause the game, but the headset won't pause. Unfortunately, you can't change the position or rotation of the cameras directly, but you can put the player's head or the camera rig in a parent gameobject that does the opposite of what the camera does, effectively stopping it. Set Time.timeScale to 1 and stop moving the parent gameobject to continue the game.You can pause the game for a set latency and then continue one frame and pause again.