Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Camera fade without Mobile HDR?

VRexVRex Posts: 64
Hiro Protagonist
I'm trying to do some camera fades for an Oculus Go project in Unreal 4.20 and am unable to find a good way to do so without enabling Mobile HDR. I imagine that would destroy my framerate. What are the options to replace a camera fade in this case? I would do a UI or transparent animated plane but that seems like it would wreck performance as well. Would love to hear some suggestions. Thanks!
Jesse Kirberger

Comments

• GRADGRGRADGR Posts: 59 Oculus Start Member
    Camera Fade requires HDR, then only efficient way to do this is by creating a "fake" fade widget with full screen size. This can be added to pawn camera or even to a sequence by using events.
  • VRexVRex Posts: 64
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Isn't the transparency going to screw up frame rate though? I'll give it a go. Thanks, GRADGR.
    Jesse Kirberger
  • DizzzieDizzzie Posts: 16 Oculus Start Member
    Did you ever figure this out?  
  • christian_svrchristian_svr Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    An interesting new feature in Oculus' UE 1.31.0 is color scaling - https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unreal/latest/concepts/unreal-color-functions/

If you can update the engine, I'd consider looking into achieving the effect that way. 
  • rasamayarasamaya Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    An interesting new feature in Oculus' UE 1.31.0 is color scaling - 

If you can update the engine, I'd consider looking into achieving the effect that way. 
    This works for nice camera fades while streaming in and out levels. Great idea, thanks! Implemented in a few projects on Quest
  • rustbucketrustbucket Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I know this is an ancient thread but does anyone have any clear instructions or a BP sample on how to do a fade using the color scale? I'm completely lost as to what the "color scale and offset" should plug into.
  • allan.mcintosh.5allan.mcintosh.5 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I am by no means an expert but this worked for me.
    It's for my loading screen.
    First set the play screen to black then wait 2 seconds and fade to clear via timeline then wait 4 seconds and fadeout then open new level.
    Hope this helps
  • yannick.tholomieryannick.tholomier Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Thank you!
  • Anna-SophiaBAnna-SophiaB Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    First set the play screen to black then wait 2 seconds and fade to clear via timeline then wait 4 seconds and fadeout then open new level.
    Hope this helps
    Hi everyone, I would like to use 'Set color scale and offset' for a single mesh to fade it in. Is that possible? And does anyone know how to accomplish that? I already tried to fade-in the mesh with a: 'dynamic material instance, new timeline and set scalar parameter value', but this looks super strange in the VR headset since little dots occur when the mesh blends in. Thank you very much in advance! :-)
  • aussieburgerVRaussieburgerVR Posts: 272 Oculus Start Member
    Hope this helps
    Hi everyone, I would like to use 'Set color scale and offset' for a single mesh to fade it in. Is that possible? And does anyone know how to accomplish that? I already tried to fade-in the mesh with a: 'dynamic material instance, new timeline and set scalar parameter value', but this looks super strange in the VR headset since little dots occur when the mesh blends in. Thank you very much in advance! :-)
    No that node doesn't work individual meshes only the whole scene (excluding widgets). 
    The way you mentioned should work if the material is translucent. Perhaps you're using a masked material which gets this dotty dithering effect?