Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Bringing a TextEditor to VR

tug41634tug41634 Posts: 5
NerveGear
edited November 2018 in General Development
Dear all,

I'm wondering... what would be the best way to bring a TextEditor to VR?
What I need to do is to display a file line by line and edit this file and do syntax highlighting.

Just use GUI.TextField and implement? Or is there some prefab, etc. for this task?

Best wishes,
SG
Tagged:

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 700
    3Jane
    I find it best to bring up Oculus Desktop in Core 2 home, move and resize it if necessary with your touch controllers, then use my PC mouse to navigate.  I then use notepad++ (free editor, available at Microsoft Store) to edit files.  For editing you can use the Oculus Desktop keyboard but I often find it easier to just use my PC keyboard.

This works fine for small editing jobs but to be honest, if I have a lot of line editing to do I much rather just put my rift on standby and use my PC monitor.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • tug41634tug41634 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited November 2018
    @TomCgcmfc thanks for your quick answer.

Do you have maybe some resources where I can learn how to program this or an example project?
    I guess this here explains it: https://www.vrheads.com/how-use-oculus-desktop

I will probably have to give more information.
    We have already build a room model of our laboratory. I'm not sure how easily one
    could integrate the Oculus Desktop Addon to an existing Unity/Oculus project.

This seems like an easy to use Keyboard: http://talesfromtherift.com/vr-canvas-keyboard/
    (I would also need syntax highlighting for my VR texteditor, so I guess I need to code one myself)

Thanks so much,
    best,
    SG
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Please check the developer forums. Switch sections on the drop-down menu on the right.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • tug41634tug41634 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited November 2018
    @cybereality should this discussion be moved to the developers forum?

Thanks for moving this thread.

I'm still wondering if there is a VR texteditor already.