New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

How to handle localization (i.e. languages)?

JoeS2018JoeS2018 Posts: 16 Oculus Start Member
I'd like to add support for multiple languages to our app (especially Japanese, as John Carmack pointed out that the Go is selling like hotcakes there).  But I'm having trouble figure out how to do that in the "Oculus" way.

This page in the SDK docs seems to suggest that there is something called "Language Packs" which the user can download and install on a per-app basis.  How do I create and upload one of those?  And then, once I've gotten an ovrLanguagePackInfo in my app, how do I use it?  The docs only show me how to get the name/code of the language, which isn't super useful, unless I'm meant to bake all the strings for each language into the app itself?
Tagged:

Comments

• JoeS2018JoeS2018 Posts: 16 Oculus Start Member
    Note: I have found the "Languages" section of the Build dashboard, but this appears to apply to localizing the store descriptions and keywords.  My question here is about localizing the app itself.
  • imperativityimperativity Posts: 3,471 Oculus Staff
    @JoeS2018

Let me check internally and see if we can update our documentation to reflect this use case.
    Please tag me @imperativity in your forum post/response if you need immediate assistance or want additional support or context on an issue you are having with our software or integrations.

Having an issue with our platform, services, or integrations?

Try using our new bug tool to report this and receive emailed updates as we proceed to address it internally.
  • imperativityimperativity Posts: 3,471 Oculus Staff
    @JoeS2018

I have confirmed internally that we have no documentation on integrating language packs at this time and that we expect to be providing a guide with the 1.31 software release on our developer portal.
    Please tag me @imperativity in your forum post/response if you need immediate assistance or want additional support or context on an issue you are having with our software or integrations.

Having an issue with our platform, services, or integrations?

Try using our new bug tool to report this and receive emailed updates as we proceed to address it internally.