cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plans to merge GearVR app and Go/Rift app?

cloud_canvas
Expert Protege
Hi there,

I'm just wondering if there are plans on the roadmap to eventually consolidate the GearVR and standard Go/Rift Oculus apps (at least on Android, of course). I'm doing social development on my company's app right now and I'm finding an annoying snag with people sending my account Event invites because often times it sends off the invite notification to my Samsung GearVR app instead of to my Oculus Go because I have both and it seems to be prioritizing the GearVR client. As it is it's kind of awkward to have both apps installed on my phone. I understand it is an edge case that only applies to developers that someone would have both apps on their phone, both to use the GearVR at all and to manage config settings for their Go and/or their Rift.
Samsung Galaxy S8 (Snapdragon 835), Gear VR (2017), Oculus Go (64GB), Unity 2018.3.14f1
1 REPLY 1

cloud_canvas
Expert Protege
@imperativity
Sorry for the ambiguity. I was just writing "Go/Rift" as shorthand for the app you'd use to interface with your Oculus Go, since it also reflects the state of your Oculus account for the Oculus Rift if you have one too (since it's kind of being rebranded as the boilerplate "Oculus mobile app").
The low-level Android differences between Go and Gear being the technical blocker for unifying all three of these UXs under one unified app seems to make sense. I only ask for it as a quirk of being a developer for both devices (Gear and Go).

Samsung Galaxy S8 (Snapdragon 835), Gear VR (2017), Oculus Go (64GB), Unity 2018.3.14f1