Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Oculus VR on GearVR have a bug with GPU particles.

Mohammed_hashimMohammed_hashim Posts: 79 Oculus Start Member
edited February 12 in Unreal Development
Hello guys, I noticed horrible performance using GPU particle even with simple 200 sprite emitter. so I tried to narrow down the problem with making a new fresh empty project with the same emitter and I found out this bad performance only happens when you add GearVR support into your project by enabling the checkbox "configure the android manifest for deployment to GearVR on Android section of project setting. when I disabled GearVR support the performance went back and I was able to spawn 9K GPU sprite running in real time with 60 fps. so yeah looks like Oculus team need to check this issue on UE4 otherwise right now we all having CPU bottleneck on our projects since we all using our particles on CPU and that's very wrong.
CPU 200 sprite VR enabled ---> 60 fps
GPU 200 sprite VR enabled ---> 37 fps
GPU 9K sprite VR disabled ---> 60 fps

I made the test with UE4 epic launcher version 4.20 and 4.21. another test with Oculus GitHub version 4.21 and got the same result.

@NinjaGaijin
@imperativity
Could you guys please check this issue for us. it's really important.
Tagged:

Comments

• NinjaGaijinNinjaGaijin Posts: 154 Oculus Staff
    @Mohammed_hashim

Thank you for the heads up! I've passed this along to the proper team to review. I'll update you here when there is progress.
    If you need immediate help or want additional support/context on an issue you are having with our platform or integrations:

1. Gather any and all logs, screenshots, and version numbers of relevant software (Oculus SDK, engine, etc.)
    2. Please submit a ticket here (include what you've gathered in step 1).
    3. Tag me @NinjaGaijin once you have done so!
  • Mohammed_hashimMohammed_hashim Posts: 79 Oculus Start Member
    @Mohammed_hashim

Thank you for the heads up! I've passed this along to the proper team to review. I'll update you here when there is progress.
    Thanks a lot.