Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Limitations in hardware/software for different Oculus models?

If im makeing a game for the Oculus Rift and i also want it to be playable on the Oculus go is that possible? and what are the limitations as far as graphical capability of the two or any other things that i should take note of

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 4,827 Volunteer Moderator
    My students are making games that work on both the Go and Rift from a single Unity project.
    There are a few main things to consider:
    - 3DOF (Go) vs 6DOF (Rift) for the headset
    - One 3DOF controller on the Go and two 6DOF controllers on the Rift
    - The Go is WAY less powerful. You'll need to be extremely careful of performance. The Go has the same CPU/GPU as the first Google Pixel phone, but VR takes a much bigger hit to performance than a typical phone game. Low detail, low res textures, low particle count, low overdraw and reduced shader complexity are the order of the day.

I don't know about Unreal, but with Unity it's very easy to have both supported. As long as the oculus sdk is added to both build targets in the vr settings, you can just build for both and it will mostly "work". But of course hand controllers really need custom code to support them fully for each target.