Request: Submit Depth Buffer at Different Resolution from Color — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Request: Submit Depth Buffer at Different Resolution from Color

owenwpowenwp Posts: 681 Oculus Start Member
There are some great methods for upscaling images based on techniques like temporal antialiasing and deep learning, and UE4 has a good implementation that we shipped with in Marvel Powers United VR which gave us good image quality at pixel densities as low as 0.6 with huge performance gains. However, the Oculus API seems to be hardcoded to have the same size depth and color buffer, so we cannot work with Dash X-Ray or the upcoming Async Spacewarp 2.0 without adding an upscaling pass for the depth, which would cost perf unnecessarily. What we really need to make these techniques work is a separate texture size and viewport property in the layer description for the depth texture. This will be even more critical as display resolutions increase.

Comments

• volgaksoyvolgaksoy Posts: 69 Oculus Staff
    Hi owenwp,

Good to see you considering submitting depth for your app. Although we don't have an ETA we can promise, the resolution limitation is one we have been looking at addressing sooner than later. Stay tuned.

Cheers
  • owenwpowenwp Posts: 681 Oculus Start Member
    Good to know. The use case I am particularly aiming for is r.TemporalAA.Upsampling with r.ScreenPercentage in UE4, as well as dynamic resolution. It works very well for both perf and quality, but currently it simply forces depth submission off.
  • joegomesjoegomes Posts: 1
    NerveGear

So I would like to simulate a solar system. Not quite to real-life scale as in Elite Dangerous, but still very big. I also want planets to look and feel "very big". Naive approaches will either make planets look and feel small, or will result in z-buffer issues.

I figure a few things need to happen:

Level of detail - 2 or 3 different levels of detail on planets for their geometry and textures. That is pretty straightforward

Multiple cameras, one for things far away, one for things close, so you can get very far from, and very close to, planets and stars without z-buffer problems. This too, seems pretty straight forward

But I'm wondering if anything needs to happen with speed. I feel like if I have a ship fast enough to move from one planet to another in a few seconds, a planet just isn't going to feel big. Flying at it, one would very quickly be ramming into it. So maybe scaling speed down as you approach will give the illusion of more size?

What tricks have people used to pull this off?