cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper optimization technique for Quest for facial/head/eye performance animation.. ?

Woody3D
Expert Protege
I have just one question really, If I have a character with perfect facial rigging (over 70 face bones) and I animate the face (in 3ds Max) so that:
Frame 0 = Base Pose
Frame 1= Viseme AA
Frame 2= Viseme EE
etc etc 
Frame 25=Smile
Frame 26=Blink
etc.

How do I turn that into anything in Unreal? Is there any way to 'capture' the relative positions of the face bones at frame 1 or 2 etc, and call that a 'preset' and put it on a slider?  In 3ds max I invented a technique where I animate faces in real-time with my Wacom Pen using the Motion Capture utility with 'pose-o-matic' (which does allow me to 'capture' the 'relative positions' of a collection of bones on a slider and (it looks just like Morpher Etc).  I'm able to turn my keyframed visemes/expression into usable tools,  sliders, *then animate the sliders in real-time against an audio playback, using motion capture and my pen, in order to build up layers of complex facial animation (and head and eye movement ),  BUT I can't find a way to emulate this powerful process in Unreal,. 

I know I could go to each keyframe and output a morph target, but my whole idea was to be able to do all animation with only bones (for Oculus Quest) and in that way save the 20-50+ Morph Targets usually required,. Maybe just a couple for forehead wrinkles here and there,.. BUT with my Visemes in successive Keyframes on the Max timeline, I am uncertain how to use that in Unreal!  

I don't even know what to google!! 'converting visemes in keyframes on a timeline, to sliders for realtime motion capture using Motion Controllers' ???  

THANK YOU!

Robert
1 REPLY 1

Neontop
Heroic Explorer
 I think you have to look for the Oculus Hand template which is included
in the Oculus distribution. Hands are animated with bones and translated
in gestures poses.