Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Chris Pruett - Director of Ecosystem

chrispruettchrispruett Posts: 200 Oculus Staff
edited March 11 in AMA
Hi folks! My name is Chris Pruett, and I am the Director of Ecosystem for Content here at Oculus. I joined Oculus in 2014 and have spent the last four and a half years helping developers build better VR apps and games. Before that I ran a game studio, worked on Android at Google, and even further back, shipped a bunch of games for consoles. I'm a big fan of horror games.

I'm happy to answer your questions about VR engineering, game design, or market success. Please only post a question once, we'll see it!

Questions

• maxellingermaxellinger Posts: 20 Oculus Start Member
    Hi Chris,

I'm an indie developer making a game for a small, queer audience. The game had a successful Kickstarter, and being a Virgo sun sign (perfectionist) I'm confident the finished product will be blindingly polished.

That being said, it's a weird, artsy game. It's not going to be a mainstream success, but it could be really important for a medium-sized group of people.

How are you going to build safeguards in the Quest acceptance process to ensure that developers like me aren't shut out? How can we be assured there's diversity in the approval committee?

• Will-ModuliaStudioWill-ModuliaStudio Posts: 4 Oculus Start Member
    Hi Chris,

I have a question regarding your recent blog post about the Oculus Quest store submission process.

"Not all apps are appropriate or intended for distribution to a general audience, but still contribute to a healthy VR ecosystem. Our solution to enable distribution for these apps are Oculus Keys. These apps typically consist of content that is clearly an advertisement, B2B applications, apps that contain only a handful of videos, and apps that have no utility outside of a specific context (such as a conference)."

Will Oculus Keys and Release Channels remain a thing with the Oculus Quest for B2B distribution and other non-high-quality-mass-market-oriented games ?

Thanks,

PS: Can't wait to have the Quest in my hands!!
    William Dulot
    I make Modulia Studio
    https://www.modulia-studio.com/
  • chrispruettchrispruett Posts: 200 Oculus Staff
    Generally speaking, Release Channels are going to be used for folks that have passed our concept approval process. We may make applications available for Oculus Keys-based distribution on a case-by-case basis. If you have a use case that requires either of these distribution models, please call that out in your concept document submission! In addition it's worth noting that we're always working on improvements to these sorts of systems.  
  • stevehinanstevehinan Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    Dead Secret Circle rules!
    Will the Quest be faster than the Go, after accounting for the Quest's 6DOF/Inside Out Tracking & refresh rate CPU consumption?
    Steve Hinan - METAL MULTIBALL

• NeontopNeontop Posts: 220 Oculus Start Member
    edited March 1
    Hello and thanks for this AMA.

Question for  Unreal. 

How to access the Oculus avatar hand in c++ to parent/attach a collider to a finger joint.

I asked a couple of engineers on the team about this. We'd have to dig in a bit for exact details, but you could try accessing the Hand SceneComponent and finding the PoseableMeshComponent from there. From there you can query for the "hands:b_finger_3" bone or something similar. The scene component is available in OvrAvatar.h/cpp. I might have the bone name wrong here—it's been a while.
  • NeontopNeontop Posts: 220 Oculus Start Member
    Another question.

Unreal Engine :User Rooms and Matchmaking

Server :Open level listen --->create session( session setting:num plublic connection =4 ;should Advertise = true)---->create session with "Name"

Client: Join Friend Session "Name". From documentation about Unreal Rooms and Matchmaking with Unreal Sessions this is called User Rooms.

Question : Is Matchmaking more optimized than User Rooms .

This isn't really about a performance difference. User rooms (Sessions) can be used for matchmaking or invites. If you want to be able to join other people who aren't friends, use matchmaking. If you want to create rooms that friends can join or be invited to, use Rooms.
  • Schneider21Schneider21 Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    edited March 1
    Chris,
    I'm a hobbyist Unity developer hotly anticipating the Quest as my first real VR headset. I've done a bit with Daydream, but after experiencing 6dof tracking and Touch controllers, I can't go back. I do my work from my MacBook Pro.
    1. Is there any way I could get started with 6dof controller development now? Doesn't seem like Rift would work for me.
    2. Could you give us any insight on how Quest development workflows will go? Will Quest be able to display the editor preview in realtime, or will we have to build each time to see changes?
    3. I'm seeing a lot of people freaking out over Oculus' recent announcement about a more cultivated store front for Quest. Could you tell us what this does and doesn't mean as far as game content, as opposed to purely game quality?
    Thanks!
  • JacksonGordonJacksonGordon Posts: 138
    Art3mis
    edited March 1
    Hi Chris, thanks for taking the time!

I was wondering if there are going to be significant changes to the development process when the Quest arrives?  Currently the process is somewhat ambiguous and it's hard to get direct feedback.  I know this is a growing pains thing, but I was just wondering if the process will be largely the same, or is there an overhaul coming along with the new hardware?

Hi! I'm not sure I understand your question. The development process for Rift is pretty well defined and we don't anticipate any major changes to it in the near future. Did you mean to ask about Quest?
  • JacksonGordonJacksonGordon Posts: 138
    Art3mis
    In a more specific and personal question, I'm having issues with a screen overlay effect I had working on the Go.  I'm porting the app to the Rift, and the overlay doesn't seem to be working now.  No errors, but the effect isn't happening.  I'm wondering if the Rift handles screen overlays and textures differently than the Go.  The goal is to add a vignette mask during movement to reduce periphery, thereby reducing vection.  Also if there would be a different/better way to achieve this on the Rift that would be awesome, I'm relatively green to VR dev.  

Thanks for your time!
  • tipatattipatat Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Hi Chris - Thanks for doing this! 

Back in Oct 17, 2017, Jason Rubin said "More than 8 VR Titles Have Made $1M+ in the Oculus store alone"
    https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-multiple-vr-titles-made-1m-oculus-store-alone/

I was hoping you can share updated data on how many titles have passed $1M by now and also what's the most revenue a title on the Oculus Store can generate - $5m? $10m? 

This kind of data is really helpful for devs for budget planning and also for others to know the health of the VR ecosystem.  

Thanks for being awesome! The Dead Secret series rocks!
    Hi Tipatat! Generally we don't talk about the success of our partners, but I can say that our store has grown since Jason's statement. We're seeing some of the early success stories in VR come back with their second or third title, which tend to be bigger and more ambitious, which should give you some signal. We've also seen new titles rocket to success at a much faster rate thanks to the larger pool of VR headsets in the world.
  • Preston_JPreston_J Posts: 23 Oculus Start Member
    My current game in development for the Rift is very much a niche game being marketed towards Alien conspiracy enthusiasts.  I plan to see how the game could be adapted for Quest for maybe a larger audience.  If a Quest submission is rejected will reasons and feedback be given on what we should do to modify the proposal?   Or should we move on to the next game concept and find one that does pass?  My company is not lacking in ideas for games. 
    I am a sucker for alien conspiracy theories. Please tell me you have an alien autopsy mini-game.

When submitting a concept to us, I think it's worthwhile to consider that your title may have access to a much wider audience than you initially intended. How can you talk to that audience without watering-down the content for your core enthusiasts? This is a hard game design problem, but it's worth considering folks who will just skim across the surface of your title as well as the folks that want to go deep down the rabbit hole. If you can service both audiences you have a good shot at success! Explaining how you address these audiences is a good thing to include in your concept document.

When it comes to feedback, we generally do not give feedback (beyond technical VRC failures) for applications or concepts that we reject. However, you can continue to work on the concept and submit it again in the future. Or you could move forward with production, ship on Rift, and use your success there as an argument for Quest. But when you do submit a concept document, please make it as real and as complete as possible.
  • socialarvrsocialarvr Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Will there be social VR apps like Facebook Spaces on the Quest?
    For JacksonGordon's second question:

In a more specific and personal question, I'm having issues with a screen overlay effect I had working on the Go. I'm porting the app to the Rift, and the overlay doesn't seem to be working now. No errors, but the effect isn't happening.I'm wondering if the Rift handles screen overlays and textures differently than the Go.T he goal is to add a vignette mask during movement to reduce periphery, thereby reducing vection. Also if there would be a different/better way to achieve this on the Rift that would be awesome, I'm relatively green to VR dev. Thanks for your time!

##
    1. Depending on whether you are working in Unity, Unreal, or some other engine, the API for overlays (which are called “compositor layers” on Rift) is similar but not exactly the same. In Unity we abstract both platforms to the same interface (OVROverlay), but the parameters and behaviors differ a bit between the PC and Go runtimes. The documentation for this is here: https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unity/latest/concepts/unity-ovroverlay/

• CarpetHeadCarpetHead Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hi Chris,

I just want to vent: the most annoying thing about working with oculus is the fact that the oculus store software automatically launches when it "thinks" you are "using the headset".

If you leave the headset in a position where the proximity sensor is triggered, often by the facial interface or head strap itself, and a fly lands on your desk, the oculus store opens immediately. This is really annoying when you are using your computer for something else, like gaming (a lot of oculus users happen to be gamers right). It really sucks to be in an intense moment of a game, and you accidentally tap your desk, oculus launches, restarts the graphics drivers, and causes a 5 second period where you can't use your computer

Why on earth can't we turn off that behaviour?
    I actually do not know the answer to this question, but I really appreciate the feedback. I'll make sure our product teams see it.
  • illusivetonerillusivetoner Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    When submitting a released Rift title for release on Quest, do you just want marketing materials or a full update on the released version?
    Please give us any information that you can share on the success of your title on Rift (or even on other platforms)! We're looking for signal, and while marketing materials are also useful, having real-world success metrics is always good. We will supply some sample materials when we roll out the concept submission form that you can reference as well.
  • warrenEBBwarrenEBB Posts: 11 Oculus Start Member
    edited March 1
    is there any type of game/app on each platform that Oculus would like to see more of? (perhaps that you think the user base wants more of? or that will draw new user base to that platform?). 

Like, when i use the Go i think "this is the platform for 360 movies/narratives. For presence, not embodiment." Or when i use the Rift, i think "i'm so tired of short wave based shooters, but everyone seems to make them. this platform needs long form story games from AAA devs... but since I can't do that, I'll just ... go hard on weird experiments with embodiment". ... or maybe yall wish there were more cross platform titles? or more education? or something else. just curious.

• DTDevDTDev Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hey Chris,
    I have a question on the Quest and the supporting ecosystem. I read on some online new sources today that Oculus will have a more strict policy about games that will be published on the Oculus Quest store. I also read that Oculus values testing with friends and the direct social circle of the developer (side loading). Will the "Approved for keys only" status be also kept intact for Oculus Quest apps? Are enterprise only apps still supported on the Quest?

Thank you for your answer
    I touched on this earlier in the AMA. We will support keys-based distribution on a case-by-case basis.
  • skyniteVRinsiderskyniteVRinsider Posts: 14 Oculus Start Member
    What support/guidance does Oculus have for Education apps on the Quest? The pricepoint and ease of use seem like a viable product for schools to order classroom sets. Is there any internal focus on the EDU market for Quest?
    Oculus has a team dedicated to education that is pursuing all sorts of ideas. For now, considering that Oculus Quest hasn't even launched yet, our core focus is on delivering the highest quality VR experience that we can to the home. There are lots of other interesting ways that VR is being deployed, including in educational settings, enterprise setups, and location-based entertainment. But for now we've chosen to focus on our core audience.

It's also worth noting that, like all of our headsets, Quest is designed for ages 13 and up.
  • johnbartjohnbart Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Long time listener, first time caller. A couple of quick questions:

1. Do you have any timeline on getting your cloud saves updated to something more developer friendly?
    2. On a more abstract topic what do you think will finally get us past locomotion issues in VR:
    a). Headset design
    b). Experience design
    c). Brain surgery
    d). Other

Hi John!

Thanks for asking about cloud saves. The API we have available today is pretty straightforward, but I am sure there are some ways we could improve it. If you have specific feedback I can make sure the team hears about it. If you are specific enough they might even implement your recommendations.

With respect to locomotion, I think it's all about experience design these days. Titles that deal with constant velocity motion, with vignetting on the sides to cut peripheral vision pixel flow and avoid smooth turns seem to do well with a wide variety of players. One analogy that you might find helpful is to think of this like ice hockey: gliding across a surface within a fixed viewport (e.g. the helmet).
  • pekayattpekayatt Posts: 133 Oculus Start Member
    Hi Chris, first of all, YOU RULE!

Second is about Oculus Studios, it seems the strategy is to work with more well established game studios providing resources for the development of bigger/better VR Games. How do you guys select the studios to receive this funding?

It is possible or do make sense for Indie Studios to look for support from Oculus Studios?

Thanks!
    Oculus Studios' goal is to build exceptionally high-quality VR games, and to do that they work with some of the best studios in the industry. Their model is to identify a genre of game that they would like to experiment with in VR and then form a partnership with a developer to build it. That said, we have also supported hundreds of titles outside of the Oculus Studios umbrella. This is another topic you could cover when submitting a concept document to us.
    For @Schneider21:

Chris, I'm a hobbyist Unity developer hotly anticipating the Quest as my first real VR jeadset. I've done a bit with Daydream, but after experiencing 6dof tracking and Touch controllers, I can't go back. I do my work from my MacBook Pro. Is there any way I could get started with 6dof controller development now? Doesn't seem like Rift would work for me. Could you give us any insight on how Quest development workflows will go? Will quest be able to display the editor preview in realtime, or will we have to build each time to see changes? I'm seeing a lot of people freaking out over Oculus' recent announcement about a more cultivated store front for Quest. Could you tell us what this does and doesn't mean as far as game content, as opposed to purely game quality?

###

That's a lot of questions! I will do my best!

I also work on a MacBook Pro as my main development machine. Unfortunately we do not have a good way to preview 6DoF in the headset with a Mac. For core gameplay iteration, particularly for things like hand interactions, I often switch over to my PC and use the Rift to test ideas and change them quickly. That said, it's also pretty easy to make a build and deploy it to the device. You can increase the speed at which you turn code changes around by splitting your data out into an asset bundle and only rebuilding the executable as described here: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/tech-note-expansion-files-with-unity/

With respect to our recent announcement about store curation, our goal is to ensure that folks who ship on our store have a real shot at success. We are trying to learn about titles in development as early as possible so that we can support those that look promising, and so that we can save developers who we don't think will find an audience a lot of development time and money. I think this will drive customer trust and lead to better returns for the devs shipping on our platform.
This discussion has been closed.