cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED]How to build a 360 video viewer with socket io interface?

bresola
Explorer
Hello all, hope this find you well.
I am not asking for a tutorial, but for some leads that will help me through the development process. 

To shed some light about what i want to develop. 
I want to build an app that plays a 360 deg stereoscopic video. In the same time i want to interface to something like an arduino to create a 7d experience. 

After doing some research, i figured out almost 70% of the oculus development requirements, but one thing i can not figure out, is the project architecture. I am a skilled android developer and i noticed that oculus uses ndk to interface with the device from the android platform, now my question is, can i use the android part of the project as a normal android project with limited features? For example, i want to interface with ardu using bluetooth, and after research, i understood that bluetooth development is not yet supported on oculus. So i have a solution, connect the oculus to a certain router and use socketi/o to connect to an app running on the local network and from that app run the the ardu commands through serial or bluetooth or what ever. Or maybe interface directly with the arduino itself. 

Is is possible to use the android part of the project for making an internet connection to a restful api? 

Any ideas on how to achieve what i want?
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you. Good day.
4 REPLIES 4

bresola
Explorer
BUMB 😕

bresola
Explorer
BUMB 😕

rlogan
Explorer
I have done some work recently that requires network communication to an oculus go. We wanted to be able to load dynamic content at runtime so I set up some socket communications. I'll have to look back at exactly what I did as it's been a few months.

bresola
Explorer
Hi, thank you for replying me. 
I actually figured out how to connect the oculus to and IOT device. I was just mislead a bit about the entire android unity compilation thing. Its quite simple, tcp or http as mentioned above. And i wish if oculus would let us control the bluetooth bacon in future sdk builds. 
Cheers.