Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

UE4.22 binary huge performance drop for Go / GearVR projects

aussieburgerVRaussieburgerVR Posts: 215 Oculus Start Member
Anyone else noticing a huge drop in performance when testing their projects in Epics 4.22 binary branch (Oculus SDK runtime 1.32)?
Is there a setting somewhere to fix this?

Draw thread on one project was running at 16-17ms in 4.21 and below, now runs at 27ms in 4.22 !! (results in a good 10+FPS drop)  :neutral: 

I hope this will be fixed in the Oculus 4.22 branch before it's released?

Comments

• realityvirtual.corealityvirtual.co Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm noticing something similar, though more to do with the Rift. My VR Preview in PIE is fine, though my compiles are dropping to about half the performance.
  • stevehinanstevehinan Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    edited August 14
    I've noticed performance reduction of my released Go/GearVR game, made with Unity.  Feels like a firmware update bug that has since been fixed. I don't know what caused this.
  • Mohammed_hashimMohammed_hashim Posts: 90 Oculus Start Member
    Did you have the chance to test your project on 4.23? I want to escape 4.22 if there is no fix for it.
  • motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,418 Oculus Start Member
    I use 4.22.3 + 1.39 integration and performance is fine. I haven't used stock launcher UE4 since 4.19 (not sure why would you even want to use it)
  • aussieburgerVRaussieburgerVR Posts: 215 Oculus Start Member
    edited August 14
    I'm noticing the same with the Oculus 4.22 and 4.23 branches, it must be some project specific setting I have (but have the same in two projects carried over from 4.18 & 4.20), just having trouble narrowing it down still ... :(
  • Mohammed_hashimMohammed_hashim Posts: 90 Oculus Start Member
    aussieburgerVR Did you noticed huge APK size too with 4.23? Empty level on previews version gives ~50mb as for 4.23 it gives ~180mb.
  • MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 117 Oculus Start Member
    edited August 16
    I noticed the same with 4.23p6 (from launcher) - maybe some large plugins?
    Yep noticed the large increase in size as well. Probably best to ask Epic why that is...
    edited August 18
    Reported yesterday. 
    Reported yesterday

Paste the issue link here so we can upvote if they create it ;)

Missed this request - it should be fixed now;
    I'm happy to report that the final Epic 4.23 binary fixes the performance issue I was seeing with 4.22 and 4.23 previews :)
    Hoping we get a Oculus 4.23 branch soon ;)