Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

UE 4.22 performance on Go / Quest ?

motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,354 Oculus Start Member
What's the consensus about UE 4.22 performance on Go / Quest ?

When I tried one of the later previews, performance was horrible with ES2 and ES3.1. Since there is no 4.22 release with current Oculus integrations on Oculus github, I assume the reason for it is not that Oculus is busy prepping for Rift S / Quest launch, but because 4.22 performs worse than 4.21.x.

Please enlighten me :)

Comments

• motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,354 Oculus Start Member
    @NinjaGaijin Any chance to get (semi)official response ? :blush:

• aussieburgerVRaussieburgerVR Posts: 196 Oculus Start Member
    motorsep said:
    What's the consensus about UE 4.22 performance on Go / Quest ?

When I tried one of the later previews, performance was horrible with ES2 and ES3.1. Since there is no 4.22 release with current Oculus integrations on Oculus github, I assume the reason for it is not that Oculus is busy prepping for Rift S / Quest launch, but because 4.22 performs worse than 4.21.x.

Please enlighten me :)
    As I posted already 4.22 has terrible performance on the Go. I'm guessing the same for Quest? I'm really hoping Oculus can fix this (or push Epic to fix it via a hotfix if their side) as there are lots of nice new 4.22 features I was hoping to use :)

I've only briefly tested on the Rift and it seemed ok there but my project is more mobile performance so probably wouldn't notice a drop in performance anyway.

• motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,354 Oculus Start Member
    edited April 16
    As I posted already 4.22 has terrible performance on the Go. I'm guessing the same for Quest? I'm really hoping Oculus can fix this (or push Epic to fix it via a hotfix if their side) as there are lots of nice new 4.22 features I was hoping to use :)

I've only briefly tested on the Rift and it seemed ok there but my project is more mobile performance so probably wouldn't notice a drop in performance anyway.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/understanding-gameplay-latency-for-oculus-quest-oculus-go-and-gear-vr/ check the "UE4 and RHIThread" part as it relates to 4.22

You can skip new rendering pipeline. Quoting from the discord:

r.rhicmdbypass
    requires: r.rhithread.enable

I haven't tried it though.