Skipped frames..?

VisceralVR
Honored Guest
Oculus Go: 
Version 3.60.36.146022136
Runtime version: 3.12.31.152555004

Development environment:
Oculus Integration: 1.36
Unity Version: Unity 2019.1.0f2 (64-bit) Windows.

Build settings as per the 'Tech Note- Unity Settings for Mobile VR - Oculus'. 

Hi,

I've been running into a playback issue on the Oculus Go and wondered if anyone has come across anything similar and may be able to cast some light on why this is happening. I get this frame drop or frame skipping effect when moving at pace. I recorded a video of where this happens and have replicated the problem in a video editor to illustrate what is going on with the headset (as standard video recording from the Go does not capture this). Frame skip is at 00:05. 

The scene just has 3 standard Unity 3d primitives with basic flying control to replicate it with a very basic scene setup. Stripped everything away to make lean as possible. As you can see with the frame rate debug in the HUD, it's topping 60 fps quite nicely but as I pass certain objects and focus on them (in this case the cylinder) I get this frame drop or skipping. No FFR, Set Render Scale of runtime AA. I have tried with FFR and a lower render scale but still happens.

Occurs with textured materials, low poly geo, anything really. I've been wracking my brains as to what has been causing this. I loaded up 'Eclipse: Edge of Light' to see if anything similar was going on and if it was hardware related and, it does do it sometimes especially when you are focusing on a section of textured wall and moving at pace but not as much as the results I'm getting.

Anyone else get anything similar to this? Anything else I could try? 

Many thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

BaronBoese
Explorer
I will not have the time to try this out myself with that version of unity you are running but since i too did tons of optimization on the GO i think your problem might be rooted in something unity does on a non regular basis.
Are you using IL2CPP? Multithreaded Rendering?
Try out remotely profiling your app with the UnityProfiler: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ProfilerWindow.html. It found it to be a pretty handy tool to debug frame drops. 
Other nice tools would be the Oculus Remote Monitor and RenderDoc but i don't think they would help you much with such a simple scene.

VisceralVR
Honored Guest
Thank you for the info BaronBoese. Yes IL2CPP and Multithreaded Rendering is checked. I will use the Remote Monitor on a larger more complex scene and see what that yields.

BaronBoese
Explorer

Thank you for the info BaronBoese. Yes IL2CPP and Multithreaded Rendering is checked. I will use the Remote Monitor on a larger more complex scene and see what that yields.

Yeah, i don't think this will lead you to the problem. Go for the Unity Profiler first.