Matt Conte - Developer Relations Engineering Lead — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Matt Conte - Developer Relations Engineering Lead

mcontemconte Posts: 29 Oculus Staff
edited May 17 in AMA

Hey, I’m Matt Conte, and I run our Developer Relations Engineering team at Oculus HQ in California. My team works closely with VR developers on a variety of aspects from performance analysis to VR design guidance. I came from the games industry, where I started writing GameBoy Color games in Z80 assembly. Most recently, I worked as an architect and principal engineer on Activision's cross-platform engine technology, helping ship games on iOS all the way up through PS4.

I like classic video games, I’ve written several console emulators, and I own Centipede and Q*bert arcade machines. @!#?@!

Ask me anything!

Twitter: @mattconte

Reminder: There may be a slight delay from when you send your comment to when you see it in the thread. Don't worry! We've received your question.

Questions

• ryan99ryan99 Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Hi Matt,

Thanks for taking the time to do this AMA, I'm sure a lot of people are anxiously awaiting the delivery of their Quests and it will be great to have some questions answered regarding the new system.

Two questions:

1 - What sort of access will Unity have to the Insight tracking system? Will the guardian bounds be available as a path? Will any other real time data be available from the cameras? (point cloud)

2 - With the tighter restrictions being placed on content for the Quest (concept approval process)  smaller developers are more likely to turn to sideloading distribution for their apps.  If developers distribute content via sideloading now,  will it affect the probability of future publishing on the Oculus store?

Thanks Matt! Can't wait to receive my Quest.
  • mcontemconte Posts: 29 Oculus Staff
    1. Hi ryan99! The same Guardian bounds data you've come to know and love on Rift will also be available through Unity. You will have access to the Guardian data as a list of points, as well as the oriented bounding box of the play area. Currently, we don't expose any real-time data from the Insight sensors.
    2. If you have used our official tools to distribute content via sideloading, that would not necessarily affect your future ability to publish on the Oculus Store on Quest. What we are looking for is interesting, unique, and “meaty” content that delivers user value and meets our content guidelines, as well as your team's ability to execute on that concept. 
  • slashwoo5everslashwoo5ever Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    If you could combine two existing games together to make a new game, what would they be and why?
    Well hi there, #slashwoo5ever! There's so many games out there, it's hard to think of the perfect mashup. What about a kart racer combined with PAC-MAN where you collect pellets and power up. I'm a huge fan of the Metroidvania genre, which is a genre mashup of two of my favorite games. I recently saw a mashup of Crazy Taxi and Snake, where the vehicle you drove gets longer and longer the more people you pick up...

• pekayattpekayatt Posts: 133 Oculus Start Member
    As a Developer Relations Engineer, you find hard to find companies that do porting for different VR platforms? Now with the Quest coming I bet several Rift titles will need help to be ported...
    Hi, pekayatt! We are always looking to bring the best content to all of our platforms, when the platform is a good fit for the content in question. Today, that means a lot of the best content for Rift will be coming to Quest. Sometimes, the original developers handle the port, other times they look for third parties to do the work. We have provided a ton of tools to make this easier including: 

• stevehinanstevehinan Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    Hi Matt,  I'm an Oculus Start member.
    What are the requirements for a developer to have access to the Oculus Developer relations team?

Thanks, Steve Hinan - METAL MULTIBALL

Hi Steve! Welcome the Oculus Start program. As a Start member, you get access to a ton of resources, tools, documentation, and a bunch of materials that my team authors. The Developer Relations Engineering team helps out all of our developers in a variety of ways by giving talks at conferences like Oculus Connect and GDC, writing blog posts, publishing samples, all of which are public-facing. We hope you check out developer.oculus.com regularly to see what we're up to!
  • AionRAionR Posts: 7
    NerveGear

Hi Matt, thanks for the AMA!

I have few questions for you:

1.For best possibility optimization in Unity for Oculus Quest which Template should we start using and why this one?:

a) 3D

b) Lightweight RP

c) VR Lightweight RP

2.Do Oculus have in plan  realise for Unity some best practical examples for Oculus Quest?

3.Which Unity version do you recommend?

4.What maximum atlas texture size can we use  and which setting in textures should be setup to get best quality to                    performance ratio in Unity?

5.Is there a way to see GDC talk “Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest” video?

Thanks Matt!

Hello AionR! Wow, that's a lot of questions! Let me do my best:
    1. Unity's lightweight render pipeline, if you're well-versed in the SRP, is working really well for some of our Quest developers in 2019.1 and above, but we have many titles that are hitting perf without it as well.
    2. The Oculus Unity Sample Framework has a lot of great starting points for building great applications, and shows off things like our Avatars, object interactions, and some great methods of locomotion.
    3. You can always check the current recommended versions on our page here. Currently we recommend 2017.4.21f1 or 2018.3.10f1.
    4. We recommend 4k maximum, with mipmaps on, trilinear filtering, and ASTC compression. Take care when automatically generating mips on texture atlases because pixel averaging across texel boundaries can cause issues in fixed foveated rendering, as the higher FFR levels use lower mips.
    5. The talk is split into two parts, and they just went up on our developer blog here and here.
  • AlanOTooleAlanOToole Posts: 126 Oculus Start Member
    Hi Matt!

What would be one piece of advice for developers who are preparing to target the Quest in the future? Any gotchas, heads up, performance notes, etc!

Thanks so much for taking the time today for an AMA, it's greatly appreciated!
    - Alan O'Toole
    Twitter: @Alan_OToole
    Howdy, Mr. Alan O'Toole! The Quest is quite a powerful machine, and we find that it can handle a lot more complex compute than we had been anticipating being able to squeeze out of it! We always try and optimize loading times whenever possible, since you want your users to get into the exciting content as quickly as possible. We just posted a new blog with some great Oculus Quest dev best-practices and we'll be sharing more resources on the developer site when the hardware launches.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/down-the-rabbit-hole-w-oculus-quest-developer-best-practices-the-store/
  • fusedotcorefusedotcore Posts: 7 Oculus Start Member
    Hello Matt,
    Thanks for doing this AMA. 

I had a question regarding VR design for enterprise solutions.
    What type of locomotion would you recommend for people with zero VR experience?
    So far point & click to set teleport locations seems the most straight forward.  
    But these people are at the point where if you tell them, point and pull the trigger, they'll be unsure which button the trigger is. Perhaps a sustained gaze confirmation on the set teleport spots?
    Twitter: @fusedotcore
    Hey there, fusedotcore. Locomotion is a point of active research in VR and at Oculus. I don't think there will ever be a “one size fits all” solution that will work perfectly for everyone; what we've come to understand is that a buffet-style set of options tends to open up content to the broadest audience possible. Teleport is certainly one of the most comfortable locomotion methods, but as you point out, may not be the most intuitive to users who don't have gaming experience. In this case, i would recommend some light tutorial explaining the controls, with diagrams rather than button names. It's difficult for users to locate, for instance, the A button on the controller when they don't know where it is on the face, or if it's on the left or right controller! A good rule of thumb is to apply the type of locomotion that best fits your application and intended audience.

For more information about enterprise VR check out the new Oculus for Business page we just launched this week at F8 - https://www.oculusforbusiness.com/

• jamesoloughlinjamesoloughlin Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited May 3
    Any ETA on the documentation for the Quest? Curious at the moment about play space limitations (sizing).
    edited May 3
    Very nice to meet you, jamesoloughlin! Quest documentation will become available at product launch, keep your eyes peeled over at developer.oculus.com.

The Quest itself supports up to 25 feet x 25 feet experiences, and your application can scale up to any size within that. More specifics around play area recommendations will be posted in our Quest documentation later this month.
  • casey.kawamuracasey.kawamura Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Thank you for answering questions today, Matt.

I have a few if you would be so kind,

1. What are the hardware ports that are included on the Quest? Is there a page with a detailed spec sheet? If I search for Quest ports I am flooded with how to transfer programs to the new device. 

2. Is the documentation completely the same as Rift? I am interested in developing some attachments and accessory devices for the platform, I would like to know if there is anything assisting that development already.

3. How much of the storage is consumed by the OS? Is this going to be an okay platform for a Dev? or is Rift S okay to dev for quest applications?

Thanks again Matt! I really appreciate you doing this.

Hello, Casey!
    1. The Oculus Quest itself has a headphone jack and a USB-C port for charging. You can find a bunch of tech specs in the developer blog post that just went up here. We'll have additional documentation available later this month.
    2. The documentation will be different than Rift and Oculus Go, although the Oculus Quest shares an SDK with the Oculus Go, and a ton of the design choices and sensibilities you will want for Rift will apply for Oculus Quest.
    3. We are currently finalizing the footprint of the OS on the Oculus Quest, so i don't have a final number for you, but there will be plenty of room for games! The Oculus Quest is a great device to dev on— just one cable and a laptop is all you need!
  • AzrayelAzrayel Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Hey Matt, thanks for doing this AMA.

I hate doing this but I have two questions.

1. What would your top 3 optimization tips for unity be as far as PC VR (Rift and Rift S) is concerned?

2. Concerning the Quest, what would your top 3 tips be to indie developers that want a store position?
    Pleased to meet your acquaintance, Azrayel.
    1. Atlas your textures, keep your draw call counts low, and keep your fragment shaders relatively simple. Ideally, you're going to want to ship on all available 6DOF hardware, so keep that in mind as an optimization target.
    2. For Oculus Quest, we are looking for titles that a) deliver great value to our users, b) show off the talents of the developers, and c) are polished and really show off why VR is an amazing new platform. This doesn't mean we don't want weird or niche indie content — we do, come at us with it!
  • NeontopNeontop Posts: 216 Oculus Start Member
    Hi Matt,
    I came up with a serious problem with the UE 4.21.2 and the new integration 1.36 .
    The Oculus Avatar in multiplayer is broken as there is a change in the ovrAvatarManager.h and .cpp.
    They commented out theQueueAvatarPacketServer function and now it is not possible to replicate the Avatar.
    Can you ask if they will provide an alternative solution in the next 1.37 integration?
    Thanks for the AMA.

Oh no! Sorry to hear about this issue, Neontop. My team is actively working on resolving this issue right now, and hope to have an update in the very near future.
  • slashwoo5everslashwoo5ever Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hey Matt just a few more questions thanks so much for your time. 

1. What are the top 3 things that makes you and your team successful?

2. Do you like to party?

Big thanks. 
    Hi there, #slashwoo5ever
    1. a) The core of any team's success is the talent, and we have an amazing recruiting team here at Oculus that goes above and beyond to find the best around. b) We're all super passionate about games and VR. c) We have a lot of fun, and even when we've got a ton of work in front of us, we pull together as a team.
    2. Life is a party, where's your hat?
  • LemmingLemming Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hi Matt,

In terms of VR design guidance, how much of an emphasis do you put on making the world feel grounded, for lack of a better term? When VR games do things like have laser pointers or floating menus in stark relief to the feeling of the rest of the experience, it's really noticeable and really pulls me out. I feel like the experiences that are really successful with keeping everything explicitly in universe, like the non-abstracted locomotion and tablets in Lone Echo, and the interaction with everything in Job Sim, even going as far as having "quit" and "load level" be explicit objects you interact with in the world, do the best job at proving out VR as the next big thing.

Thanks!
    Hey Lemming, this is a really great question, and one that's super important to me. One of the most compelling aspects of virtual reality is that it allows designers to peel away layers of manufactured interaction idioms that have been developed over the years, for much more natural ones. For example, rather than clicking a mouse to open a menu to look at some health stats, you can just look at your watch on your wrist in VR. In a modeling tool, rather than selecting an extrusion tool from a toolbox of square icons, you can just go and grab the tool. I think there will be some level of skeuomorphism that continues, like using laser pointers to select menu items which are just floating panels in 3D space, over time as designers build a better language for interactions, we'll see a lot of these things falling away in favor of more immersive one
  • AlanOTooleAlanOToole Posts: 126 Oculus Start Member
    mconte said:
    Howdy, Mr. Alan O'Toole! The Quest is quite a powerful machine, and we find that it can handle a lot more complex compute than we had been anticipating being able to squeeze out of it! We always try and optimize loading times whenever possible, since you want your users to get into the exciting content as quickly as possible. We just posted a new blog with some great Oculus Quest dev best-practices and we'll be sharing more resources on the developer site when the hardware launches.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/down-the-rabbit-hole-w-oculus-quest-developer-best-practices-the-store/
    That's so great and exciting to hear! That all sounds good and I love that point. Thanks so much for sharing that article! I cannot wait to dig into the Quest and code!

Have a great weekend!

Twitter: @Alan_OToole
  • Mohammed_hashimMohammed_hashim Posts: 90 Oculus Start Member
    Hi Matt,
    Do you have any info regarding the number of CPU core used for VR on Quest vs GearVR? I mean since Quest has no phone function I suspect we have more free cores for VR game/app which will boost performance on Quest a bit. 

Thanks
    Greetings, Mohammed_hashim! Oculus Quest has 4 gold cores and 4 silver cores, plus a DSP. The system reserves all the silvers and the DSP for tracking and other system services, and 1 gold core for Asynchronous TimeWarp and the compositor. You have full access to the remaining 3 gold cores.

More info here: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/down-the-rabbit-hole-w-oculus-quest-the-hardware-software/
  • casey.kawamuracasey.kawamura Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Does it offer Bluetooth? How many devices?
    Casey, Bluetooth devices are supported, such as gamepads. Three to four paired Bluetooth devices is probably the practical maximum. Keep them coming!
  • charlesvarmintcharlesvarmint Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi Matt,

Really happy to see open outreach with developers like this! Thank you for fielding questions.

Regarding cross-platform, what's the outlook on OpenXR? Will runtimes for Rift and Quest be available for the general public? Also, would love to hear whether Oculus intends on supporting on the second component of the spec, the Device Plugin Interface, once it's nailed down.

Charlesvarmint, how do you do? Oculus has been deeply involved in the OpenXR process, and we plan on supporting it across all of our devices moving forward. We hope that this will simplify the developer story (and make our lives easier as well!). I don't have anything about the second component i can talk about at this moment.
This discussion has been closed.