cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

questions about oculus quest

Anonymous
Not applicable
1. In the future, is it possible that Oculus will develop a product similar to HTC tracker?
2. Whether the invisible positioning laser technology which is on the controller of the Oculus quest can be used on other products?
3. Will the button agreement of the Oculus quest controller be open to the public or open to the public under some conditions? Does it support the normal keyboard input agreement?
1 REPLY 1

Schneider21
Expert Protege
Welcome!

1. In the future, is it possible that Oculus will develop a product similar to HTC tracker?

I obviously can't speak for Oculus, but I can't see them doing this... at least not for Quest or anytime soon. Oculus' focus is clearly on getting as many people as possible into VR, and optional peripherals (that are expensive) are a great way to fragment your market. Tracked objects will be the realm of PC VR for a while, I'd say.

2. Whether the invisible positioning laser technology which is on the controller of the Oculus quest can be used on other products?

The controllers just have IR LEDs in them. No lasers, nothing proprietary. They do, however, likely communicate with the OS to communicate the rate at which they blink to make it easier for the OS to identify which controller is which (at least, if they function the way Constellation does for CV1).

There's no reasons third party products can't use IR LEDs in their products, of course, but the ability to track them would have to be supported by the OS, which -- again -- is unlikely.

3. Will the button agreement of the Oculus quest controller be open to the public or open to the public under some conditions? Does it support the normal keyboard input agreement?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but Oculus has made no indication they'll support input types other than the new Touch controllers.