Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Will the Rift S camera operations/passthrough+ be exposed to developers?

JSW97JSW97 Posts: 13
NerveGear
It would be nice to implement some AR features in my app. Will I as a developer be able to use the headset camera feed?

Comments

• MikeFMikeF Posts: 875
    3Jane
    carmack said no  a while back due to security concerns so not likely anytime soon
  • JeffNikJeffNik Posts: 143
    Art3mis
    This seems like a very powerful feature, and I would be surprised if they didn't find a solution to the privacy concern - they already added a setting to "show passthrough video when streaming", which is off by default.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,925 Valuable Player
    Sorry, i should have done a search, i've just asked for an update to this - anybody heard anything new?
  • JeffNikJeffNik Posts: 143
    Art3mis
    No news. :-(
  • toukentouken Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I guess that technically everything is there to do it because this is what you have when you configure your guardian.

If it is a matter of privacy or else it should be possible to detect if such a functionnality is used and then prompt to user (at buy time) with an agreement form saying that he/she aggrees for the consequences it might bring. Or find a way to encrypt the input of the camera so only the HMD linked to it can display it.

I understand that some people could missused this functionnality by getting sensible data from the user environment and then use it for analysis and advertisement purposes. But personnaly I would like to have this feature in UE to create an app that wouldn't go on market it self and would be for a private use only.