Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

UE4 / Quest / Vulkan - Proper Render/Project Settings?

RapidTDRapidTD Posts: 1
NerveGear
Tried creating a simple test project with both the Oculus UE4 branch and Epic's latest 4.22 branch and if I enable Vulkan (ES2 and ES3.1 work fine ) I always get a crash on application launch. Tried all the settings I could find across the various Oculus and Epic documentation. Does anyone have this working currently that could share their basic project settings? Is it just broke in 4.22?

Thanks

Comments

• imaekgamesimaekgames Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I too had to disable Vulkan to get my project to NOT crash, I feel your pain, I want that Vulkan performance boost.
  • MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 149 Oculus Start Member
    edited June 11
    Same question here:
    On https://developer.oculus.com/blog/down-the-rabbit-hole-w-oculus-quest-the-hardware-software/ it states the Quest supports Vulkan. UE 4.22 also supports Vulkan. So why does even the most simple app deployed on the Quest that uses Vulkan crash at launch?

Edit: according to this post, you need to disable multi-view and FFR for Vulkan to work. Will test asap but wouldn't fps drop a lot by doing so?

Edit2: No luck. at least I see my splash screen at loading. Immediate crash afterwards.

Edit3: apparently it still needs a future Oculus Quest runtime update for Vulkan to work.

• C4RL05C4RL05 Posts: 2 Oculus Start Member
    Same issue here: Blank project app crashes on launch when Vulkan is enabled.
    But it runs after disabling MultiView (FFR was already off). Also switched on arm64.
  • DizzyDerFDizzyDerF Posts: 14 Oculus Start Member
    Did you guys ever figure this out?
  • motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,445 Oculus Start Member
    edited August 7
    No and there has been no OS updates to support FFR/multi-view with Vulkan on Go/Quest, yet.
    Now there is Vulkan support (even on Go, although partial)
  • CorysiaCorysia Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    Has anyone tried this with the Oculus version of Unreal?
  • weirdmonkey2807weirdmonkey2807 Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Working now, however you still cannot use chromatic aberration correction as it results in a crash. 
    Just tried it out on 4.22.3, definitely seeing a performance increase on my Quest project. 
    @DizzyDerF

Do you mind running a test case for GPU particle on your Quest? https://developer.oculus.com/bugs/bug/352218849045408/

I don't have Quest, but it crashes on my Go.
  • JoebMediaLabJoebMediaLab Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    @DizzyDerF What settings did you use? I used the setting listed in unreals doc but I couldnt get it to work without crashing. I removed the Mobile HDR and the OpenGL. It works but I'm seeing a fame rate drop. I'm also using 4.23.0 preview 6.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Platforms/Mobile/Android/VulkanMobileRenderer/index.html
    I have mobile hdr disabled, 4x MSAA,  ARM64, with Vulkan enabled.  Using Oculus Branch 4.22.3 from Github. 
    DizzyDerF said:
    I have mobile hdr disabled, 4x MSAA,  ARM64, with Vulkan enabled.  Using Oculus Branch 4.22.3 from Github. 
    Oculus Audio is 32bin only, so I am not sure why people build ARM64 at this time :/

Speaking of Oculus Audio, I don't have this plugin enabled, and a project I'm working on porting from Rift to Quest, the audio is all pitch-shifted on Quest, some sounds high, some sounds low. Audio is being played back in a level sequence. Anyone know of a fix for this? 
    DizzyDerF said:
    Speaking of Oculus Audio,..., the audio is all pitch-shifted on Quest, some sounds high, some sounds low. ...Anyone know of a fix for this? 
    I read somewhere (don't know the source - could be this forum) Quest requires that ALL AUDIO be at 48000kHz
  • karsten.flindtkarsten.flindt Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    DizzyDerF said:
    Are you guys using the Occulus build of unreal? or just normal unreal?
    I can not get Vulkan to run - using 4.23.1f 
  • weirdmonkey2807weirdmonkey2807 Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    DizzyDerF said:
    Using the oculus build of Unreal. You need to use build setting for arm7 not 64 or else it won’t run. 
  • hcentenohcenteno Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    Using the oculus build of Unreal. You need to use build setting for arm7 not 64 or else it won’t run. 
    I've been building ARM64 with Vulcan and it runs.
    NerveGear
    thanks - but anyone have used the normal Unreal? not the Occulus version? - or is it simply not possible via normal Unreal - to run Vulkan?
    thanks - but anyone have used the normal Unreal? not the Occulus version? - or is it simply not possible via normal Unreal - to run Vulkan?
    If you are using Oculus, then it only makes sense to use their UE4 fork.
    Anyone else noticed an fps drop (20-25%) using Vulkan in 4.23 (Oculus version) as well? I notice this with more large projects. Haven't found any logic whats causing this (yet)
    Nope, I got no fps drop using Vulkan in a static environment compare to ES31, but it's still not production ready. It uses a lot more RAM than ES31, it's unstable when rendering animated skeletal models (AI characters for example), it has visual glitches. It does reduce drawcalls according to "stat unit", but how reliable is that number ?!
    NerveGear
    motorsep said:
    If you are using Oculus, then it only makes sense to use their UE4 fork.
    Thanks motorsep. 
    Now i setup the occulus version of unreal 4.23 yesterday - and i can get it running with vulkan on the normal UE VR template but when i open my other project - (that was running - but with low fps - in the normal Unreal versoin) - and starts building in the oculus version - then it tells me this error before crashing:

Assertion failed: LODModel.bHasAdjacencylinfo [..... Engine/Private/STaticMeshRender.cpp] [Line:797]

Besides that i notice that the Unreal project folders get pretty big - like 3-5 gb bigger when i run it with Vulkan support - even for the default UE VR scene.

Im also dont have many years of expereince with VIsual Studio - but it seems the Unreal Visual Studio project folder is arround 100 gb. 
    Is there a way to avoid this? - or - im actually asking - is that the correct way im doing it? or can i just download a compiled exe/installation? 

Thanks a lot
    NerveGear
    Should there be any difference in the Vulkan vs. ES31 look, shading and lighting?
    Im considering just building it all in ES31 for now - and then only at later point - when hopefully all is more stable go to Vulkan..
    Should there be any difference in the Vulkan vs. ES31 look, shading and lighting?
    Im considering just building it all in ES31 for now - and then only at later point - when hopefully all is more stable go to Vulkan..
    Not in my tests, no. They looked identical. 
    NerveGear
    i tested few setups with Vulkan now - on the 4.23 - and in this case Vilkan was just slower than ES31. 
    I'm just hoping very much that the Vulkan will actually be faster than the ES31 - maybe in an update of Unreal....
  • ETerNiaETerNia Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    i tested few setups with Vulkan now - on the 4.23 - and in this case Vilkan was just slower than ES31. 
    I'm just hoping very much that the Vulkan will actually be faster than the ES31 - maybe in an update of Unreal....
    MaxArch said:
    Anyone else noticed an fps drop (20-25%) using Vulkan in 4.23 (Oculus version) as well? I notice this with more large projects. Haven't found any logic whats causing this (yet)
    4.22 was okay, but 4.23 frame drops for our project too
    Tested Vulkan in 4.24.0pX. I don't see a big framedrop anymore like I had in 4.23. It seems to perform like ES3.1. Have to test more though. The purple glitches are still present so I don't see any reason to switch in 4.24.
    MaxArch said:
    Tested Vulkan .... The purple glitches are still present so I don't see any reason to switch in 4.24.
    Has Oculus responded to your bug report (if you ever made one) ?
    motorsep said:
    MaxArch said:
    Tested Vulkan .... The purple glitches are still present so I don't see any reason to switch in 4.24.
    Has Oculus responded to your bug report (if you ever made one) ?
    I never reported this - I think I read more reports on the forums about this so never bothered. Will see if I can replicate it with Suntemple so they can investigate.