Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

touch controller captouch floating point or integer?

fael097fael097 Posts: 8
NerveGear
hi, I was reading the oculus documentation and noticed this about a capacitive sensor for the thumb:

"Oculus Touch (L) Thumb Up CapTouch - The left controller thumbstick capacitive touch event. The Axis Value returns a floating point value, from 0.0 to 1.0, that expresses how far the user's thumb is from the thumbstick, where 0.0 is as close as possible, and 1.0 is as far away as can be measured by the thumbstick. This event fires once per frame, when input is enabled for the containing actor. Note: There is also a corresponding gamepad value blueprint (with the same name) that can be explicitly retrieved at any time."

it specifically states a floating point from 0.0 to 1.0, meaning it can be a decimal value such as 0.1, 0.5, etc. and not a value of 1 or 0 like it states for other capacitive sensors, such as the X button for example, that states "The Axis Value returns 1 if the user is touching the X button, and 0 otherwise"

however while testing my rift controllers, all captouch events, even the firs mentioned here, return a value of 1 or 0, none of them ever returned a decimal value, and I'm debugging in real time via a simple print string node

so my question is, is that floating point value specific for the new rift S controllers? as those are the ones depicted in the documentation, and not the old rift controllers.

or am I doing something wrong and even the old rift should return decimals?

Comments

• fael097fael097 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    anybody?
    NerveGear
    I'm bumping this. it definitely states decimals in the documentation, and I don't get decimals
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 743
    Neo
    All cap inputs are output in the normalized state youre describing even on the s/quest touch controllers. Best i can figure is they were kept as floats for debugging the hardware as it was developped. Even of we could get an analog output the range would be so minimal that it wouldnt be usefull or reliable across all units
    NerveGear
    MikeF said:
    All cap inputs are output in the normalized state youre describing even on the s/quest touch controllers. Best i can figure is they were kept as floats for debugging the hardware as it was developped. Even of we could get an analog output the range would be so minimal that it wouldnt be usefull or reliable across all units
    I understand that. but read the documentation. it clearly states that these two specific captouch events should return a floating number between 0 and 1, and not either 0 or 1 like it states for all the other captouch events.

if they have no intention in returning a decimal number then they should update the documentation, otherwise I'll keep thinking there's something wrong with my hardware or software
    NerveGear
    I'm no dev so I can't report a bug, but I'd like to hear from someone from oculus
    NerveGear
    ok so nobody cares. I just thought it could be nice to have this working if the sensor is capable of doing it. you could have much more fluid hand animations, at least for thumb and index, can you imagine having it following your thumb and index finger movement, and not just being up or down? it sure sounded nice to me, but guess we will never know, I give up
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 743
    Neo
    we do know, it doesnt work like that. The hardware doesnt return a float, regardless of what the documentation says. If you want that behavior get an index