Windows Store Codec Installation — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Windows Store Codec Installation

Hi,

In our Rift app we need to efficiently decode 360 h265 video. We do it using the Media Foundation framework and the Hardware Codec distributed by the GPU manufacturers through the Windows Store. We tried to do that by having a launcher to let user install the codec if needed, but that goes against the store policy.
So, if we have to start the app directly in VR, can we test for the codec in VR, and launch the Microsoft Store upon prompt in the app ? Would that be ok with the guildeline ?

Thanks,

Comments

• MikeSwansonMikeSwanson Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    We had/have a similar issue, and I believe that Microsoft won't allow you (or at least doesn't want you) to link to the store page either. Sadly, as a result, we no longer support 265 on Windows.
  • jean.small.75010jean.small.75010 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the answer! Too bad the HEVC support is weirdly supported on Windows, whereas it's natively supported on all the mobile OSes :(.
  • Wallace6Wallace6 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Happy to hear that! Your comment made mine. 9Apps for Android
  • MikeSwansonMikeSwanson Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Windows 10 used to include the HEVC codec by default, but they removed it from the OS install and put it in the Store in one of the updates. My guess is that this is to cover the HEVC licensing fees.