Why is there no basic, teleport-ready Oculus PlayerController? — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Why is there no basic, teleport-ready Oculus PlayerController?

Looper521Looper521 Posts: 3 Oculus Start Member
Is it true that to implement even the most *basic* VR-ready avatar rig (with hands, controller meshes, and teleporting of course!), I have to hand-construct a new prefab from scratch following these convoluted instructions: https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/avatarsdk/latest/concepts/avatars-gsg-unity/ ?  I've loaded the Oculus Utilities, but all that provides are the raw materials and I'm left to waste time assembling the same prefab every time, with mixed results.

If true, this is bizarre.  I would guess 95% of folks building Quest, Rift or any other Oculus VR app will need just such a prefab to even get started.  Please tell me it exists somewhere!  Can't someone from Oculus just export a .unitypackage from one of the many demo apps?
Tagged:

Comments

• lsummerslsummers Posts: 25 Oculus Start Member
    We had to rewrite about 20% or so of the OVR framework to get something even realistically usable for our demos.  It is easily one of the least complete VR frameworks I've used.  I hope to do a video soon covering a lot of the deficiencies and gotchas we encountered with issues like ... the entire core functionality of a class commented out (so it actually doesn't do anything).  The issues are far more than just the documentation.
  • yesbirdyesbird Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    edited June 15
    I was little bit frustrated when started with framework on my GO, but then I'v understand that this is not plug_and_play, but DIY. They only give us ideas how things could be implemented and templates for our projects.