How to correctly use SRGB on Oculus Mobile Native (C++)? — Oculus
IMPORTANT:

All Oculus Quest developers MUST PASS the concept review prior to gaining publishing access to the Quest Store and additional resources. Submit a concept document for review as early in your Quest application development cycle as possible: https://developer.oculus.com/quest-pitch/

For additional information and context, please see "Submitting Your App to the Oculus Quest Store".
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

How to correctly use SRGB on Oculus Mobile Native (C++)?

mccmcc Posts: 28
Brain Burst
This is a Go+Quest question. I have a Oculus Mobile C++ app forked from the VRCubeWorld_NativeActivity example in the Oculus Mobile native SDK. I hooked in my own code in `ovrRenderer_RenderFrame`, so right after the framebuffer and the eye matrices are set up I call my own rendering code. This rendering code is shared with desktop, it enables `GL_FRAMEBUFFER_SRGB` and it exclusively draws the SRGB color space.

I am trying to figure out how to convert VRCubeWorld_NativeActivity from RGB to SRGB. I want the SRGB drawn by my rendering code to be correctly treated by the NativeActivity.cpp's framebuffer and EGL surface. I have found a way that "works" (I see the colors I expect) but I do not know if it is correct. You can see my exact NativeActivity code here (it is open source).

What I did:
  • Pass `GL_SRGB8_ALPHA8` instead of `GL_RGBA8` in ovrFramebuffer_Create
  • Set `VRAPI_MODE_FLAG_FRONT_BUFFER_SRGB` in `parms.flags` when we call `vrapi_EnterVrMode`()
What I did NOT do— because I tried these things and they had no effect:
  • Call `setEGLattrib(EGL_GL_COLORSPACE_KHR, EGL_GL_COLORSPACE_SRGB_KHR);` after calling `eglCreateContext()` (I think we do this in our glfw version, and it is recommended in a long comment in VrApi_Types.h).
  • Comment out the many `VRAPI_FRAME_LAYER_FLAG_INHIBIT_SRGB_FRAMEBUFFER` lines left over from the sample code.
What I need to know: 
  • Am I doing something wrong or unsafe, or incurring any penalty (like unnecessary conversions RGB->SRGB and back again) by failing to explicitly set the EGL_GL_COLORSPACE_SRGB_KHR egl attrib?
  • What do the various VRAPI_FRAME_LAYER_FLAG_INHIBIT_SRGB_FRAMEBUFFER flags do? What does this "layer" code (the "black layer" and "loading icon layer") do, and can I safely remove it? (I have removed a lot of the code from the NativeActivity example because I was sure I did not need it, but there are other parts I did not understand so I have left it in. Because there is not really any comments/documentation on the sample code it is hard to tell what is necessary and what Oculus merely left for us as a convenience.)