IMPORTANT:

All Oculus Quest developers MUST PASS the concept review prior to gaining publishing access to the Quest Store and additional resources. Submit a concept document for review as early in your Quest application development cycle as possible: https://developer.oculus.com/quest-pitch/

For additional information and context, please see "Submitting Your App to the Oculus Quest Store".
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Project issues with latest firmware/integration update

NinjaGGNinjaGG Posts: 230 Oculus Staff
edited July 30 in Oculus Quest Development
If you are experiencing issues with your projects due to the latest firmware and integration update, please rebuild your manifest file.

For Unity:

1. Within the Unity editor, remove the current manifest by clicking on Oculus -> Tools -> Remove AndroidManifest.xml

2. Generate a new AndroidManifest by clicking on Oculus -> Tools -> Generate store-compatible AndroidManifest.xml

For Unreal/other engines:

Please include the following line in your existing AndroidManifest.xml:

<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.vr.headtracking" android:version="1" android:required="true" />

If you need immediate help or want additional support/context on an issue you are having with our platform or integrations:

1. Gather any and all logs, screenshots, and version numbers of relevant software (Oculus SDK, engine, etc.)
2. Please submit a ticket here (include what you've gathered in step 1).
3. Tag me @NinjaGaijin once you have done so!

Comments

• Cain_BloodbaneCain_Bloodbane Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    Did not seem to work for me, so I use these two solutions instead:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43293173/use-custom-manifest-file-and-permission-in-unity
  • motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,437 Oculus Start Member
    @NinjaGaijin

Sorry, but you can't just add it to AndroidManifest.xml with UE4 as it regenerates xml file when building projects. UE4 has several fields in the Project Settings where extra flags/parameters/options for AndroidManifest.xml should be added. Could you please specify what field this stuff has to be added to and provide correct format for smooth copy/paste experience ? (copying and pasting it as-is will result in errors)
  • hawkenhawken Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    This worked for controllers thanks.

Unity project sample Hands & Body avatars seem to be missing in this update, there are some problems with floor position also. If you run and build sample scene "Avatar Grab" these issues are apparent. 
    Project lead on http://vrmash.tumblr.com for Oculus.
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/hawkun
  • beaulima9933beaulima9933 Posts: 50 Oculus Start Member
    @motorsep
    Unreal fix: 

• AlexotronicAlexotronic Posts: 34 Oculus Start Member
    With UE4: you can also just update to 4.23 and specify Quest in Project Settings
  • theslidefactorydevtheslidefactorydev Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    The solution above worked for me for fixing the hands tracking in Unity 2018.4 LTS. From what I've read that comes from the fact that with 1.39 the Quest defaults to Go emulator (one controller) unless we add the head tracking line to the AndroidManifest.xml.

Adding an App ID in Oculus -> Avatar -> Edit Settings, Oculus -> Platform -> Edit Settings fixed my LocalAvatarWithGrab hands not showing up.

But removing and creating a store manifest seems to mess with dev builds starting the activity on the Quest by default, for that I followed this: https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/48645/oculussampleframeworkproject-1-5-1-wont-launch But for the label, I just put my package name "com.MyCompany.MyGame" found under Edit -> Project Settings -> Player -> Other Settings. Seems to work.

Hopefully we can get an update to fix some of these things to work out of the box, it's a disorienting dev experience to open the sample projects and have to do a lot of troubleshooting to start them ;)
    NerveGear
    edited August 21
    Edit: Duplicate post
    NerveGear
    edited August 21
    Edit: Duplicate post
  • TMU-ISDepartmentTMU-ISDepartment Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I'm not clear on fix here.  I followed the steps from NinjaGG (remove manifest file the regenerate) and I still don't see the hands in the AvatarGrab sample scene.  I then manually added the uses-feature manually to the manifest file in Assets\Plugins\Android folder and still don't see the hands in the AvatarGrab sample scene.  
    I loaded a build from mid-June that was previously working and the hands showed up but were slightly off from where they are supposed to be and didn't respond to button clicks on the controllers so I am assuming the recent update to the controllers is not backward compatible either.

Using Unity 2019.1.5f.1, Oculus Integration 1.39.0, Oculus Quest fully updated.
  • SnorchSnorch Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    They broke their own example scenes. The only one that seems to work is the LocalAvatar one (at least the functionint prefab has that name, If I recall correctly).
  • chachinoichachinoi Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited August 16
    hello, I started a game on unity and I wanted to have a second asset to test in parallel with the last sdk, when I run the apk on the quest he puts me an error message telling me to connect the booth in wifi and usb for an update ... and nothing ... Anyone have a solution?
  • nirharpaznirharpaz Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    I can't say if this solution worked since I get this error when using the store compatible Gradle

• CorysiaCorysia Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    Rebuilding the manifest worked for me as far as tracking goes.  But I can't get a LocalAvatar to stay on the 10x10 platform I created.  As soon as I start the app, I careen off the edge and fall.  In earlier versions, I'd put in an OVRPlayerController and drop a LocalAvatar in to the Tracking Space of the OVRCameraRig contained in the OVRPlayController.  It doesn't seem you can do this now.

So I took the LocalAvatarWithGrab prefab and put it in my scene.  I set it to Quest in the OVRCameraRig, left tracking on Eye Level, and added a CharacterCameraConstraint.

What am I doing wrong?
  • cknowltocknowlto Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Trying to get started on my very first project and made the mistake of updating my integration version to the 1.39 and now I can not get hands in any scene using any prefabs.
    My process was exactly the same as u/Corysia documented above. 
    I also added the manifest fix.  Still no hands, or they are spawning somewhere other than in the view of the camera.

• cknowltocknowlto Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Downgraded to 1.38 and suddenly everything starts working again.
    There is most of a day gone :-(
  • BillDozer42BillDozer42 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Please bring back the option to set/reset forward direction...  Don't understand why that option went away, setup is already extremely easy and we need to be able to set this.  I'm losing my play area more often since this latest update...

https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/80085/can-no-longer-set-forward-direction-on-rift-s
  • BillDozer42BillDozer42 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Please bring back the option to set/reset forward direction.  I'm losing my play more often since this last update and we need this option to have control.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Odd that I haven't seen an announcement yet in this forum, but 1.40 dropped this morning in the Asset Store.  I haven't tried it yet.
  • nadohsnadohs Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited October 1
    I am finding in 1.4.0 that in CustomHands example framerate tank when looking at hands now -_- goes from 90+ to 40. Any thoughts on reason for this?
  • richardirichardi Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Am not able to integrate my TweakBox APK Installer firmware with latest updated development phases in the market. I don't know where it went wrong, but I really want to get my project and back and running.
  • mccmcc Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    Is there a way I can tell whether I have the most recent update? Is there a way to force an update to the newest version? In the past version updates have just kinda installed magically. I would like to make sure my project works with the new update.
    Hiro Protagonist
    mcc said:
    Is there a way I can tell whether I have the most recent update? Is there a way to force an update to the newest version? In the past version updates have just kinda installed magically. I would like to make sure my project works with the new update.
    You can tell what version you're running if you go in to Settings and then choose About.  It'll say what firmware you have.

If it's not yet up to 9, you can "force" it by leaving your Quest on, plugging it in, starting the Oculus app on your phone, and connecting to your Quest.  Leave it that way for an hour and it'll almost certainly be updated by then.  I learned that trick from Tyriel Wood.