Player location in Boundary space — Oculus
IMPORTANT:

All Oculus Quest developers MUST PASS the concept review prior to gaining publishing access to the Quest Store and additional resources. Submit a concept document for review as early in your Quest application development cycle as possible: https://developer.oculus.com/quest-pitch/

For additional information and context, please see "Submitting Your App to the Oculus Quest Store".
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Player location in Boundary space

Is there any way to get the players exact location in the boundary space? The TestNode function only gives the distance to the nearest boundary array point. If I could get the distance to more then one point I could calculate it but distance to 1 point is not enough for a fixed location.

Comments

• dddienstdddienst Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Maybe someone can at least explain the difference between the closest point and the closest point normal? I am pretty sure I know what the closest point is telling me but what is the closest point normal telling me?
  • CorysiaCorysia Posts: 69
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 22
    Ok, I'll take a stab at this.  I'm not an expert, but I have decent Google Fu.  And maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong and I'll learn something, too.
    ClosestPointVector3Describes the location in tracking space of the closest boundary point to the queried node or point.
    ClosestPointNormalVector3Describes the normal of the boundary point that is closest to the queried node or point.

I would assume that the Normal is the same as any Normal in computer graphics.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertex_normal

So...I would guess that the normal is the UP of that vertex for the boundary point.  Imagine taking that grid of the Guardian cage and laying it flat like it was terrain.  Apply a texture to it and shine some light on it.  Normals are used in that case to determine how the light plays across that surface.

I'd also guess that the normal vector is pointing generally towards the center of the play area.
  • BBigGBBigG Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hey @dddienst, did you find a solution for this? We are looking at the same topic at the moment. Would be great to locate a player in the tracked boundary.
    Cheers.