Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Simple experiments with gamepad controls and VR

Comments

• brantlewbrantlew Posts: 540 Oculus Staff
    mrgreen72 wrote:
    Actually, contrary to popular belief, slowing down the rotation is worse! Playing with the mouse, which is way faster, feels a lot more comfortable. So you want to make it as fast as possible while remaining precise enough.

I've always thought it wasn't the speed so much as the direct 1:1 control scheme of the mouse. Your hand motion directly controls your angle, where-as an analog stick is one level of indirection further up.
  • mrgreen72mrgreen72 Posts: 683
    Art3mis
    brantlew wrote:
    mrgreen72 wrote:
    Actually, contrary to popular belief, slowing down the rotation is worse! Playing with the mouse, which is way faster, feels a lot more comfortable. So you want to make it as fast as possible while remaining precise enough.

I've always thought it wasn't the speed so much as the direct 1:1 control scheme of the mouse. Your hand motion directly controls your angle, where-as an analog stick is one level of indirection further up.

There's probably some of that, but I do think speed is also a factor. At least it definitely does feel better to me, but YMMV.

Dimming the view to almost complete darkness while turning also does the trick. It's a pretty lame solution but it's better than having to stop playing after 5 minutes.

Anyway, it's definitely a fun and challenging area to explore. :)
  • AnticlericAnticleric Posts: 525 Oculus Start Member
    brantlew wrote:
    mrgreen72 wrote:

I'm also going to have to say it seems like a bit of both. I've been messing with stuff all week (with the help of Mr. Green here) and I can say with 100% certainty that the mouse controls keep me feeling fine. As soon as I tried moving with the control stick the wave of illness hit me. This made it pretty tough to work considering I was trying to get a good controller scheme working with Technolust. Slowing down the rotation speed made it almost instantly worse (ontop of being annoying to get around). When I cranked the speed up on the stick rotation it felt much better, but in the end it was basically just twitch turning.

Right now I'm using the 20 degree jump and it seems to make my brain a little more happy, the downside is that it's less immersive and annoying to watch.

What I would be really interested to try would be a high resolution trackpad (ala the steam controller), which would allow a swipe to turn. I have a feeling that would be the best of both worlds.
    Art3mis
    The Turn Button, man. The Turn Button.

I know it sounds a little weird but one you wrap your head around it (quite literally actually), it works pretty well. As long as you're not making a twitch FPS, that is...

It probably needs tweaking and there is more stuff I wanna try but I think it's promising.

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking. :lol:
    Art3mis
    New update:

- Scratched SDK 0.3.1 version for now.
    - Made a separate options screen for my stuff. Press the Back button of the 360 controller to display it.
    - Added Turn Angle for modes where it applies. Set it using Insert/Delete.
    - Added Turn Speed for modes where it applies (When Progressive turning is used). Set it using Home/End.
    - Added a dead zone to the left analog stick in the FixedAngleLS mode to avoid unwanted turns.
  • cubytescubytes Posts: 886
    Art3mis
    this is the kind of discussion/information i have been looking for :) awesome work so far guys! i have been reading through this off and on since i found it this morning. been thinking about this all day. i really wish i had the hardware to help you guys test this out...

you said you were interested in crazy ideas right mrgreen72?

*i did not make this video*

this is going to sound extremely weird and counter-intuitive (very crazy) but... take the above animations, switch camera to first person perspective and apply the following controls....

tank mode: full torso manipulation:
    -joysticks 1:1 leg movement?
    -bump up the left joystick to step forward with left leg
    -bump up the right joystick to step forward with the right leg
    -bump down for walking backwards (same as above but in reverse)
    -to run you bump the joysticks up faster but must always do so in an alternating pattern
    -if you bump both joysticks up simultaneously it would be like a lunge or jump forward
    -if you bump both joysticks down simultaneously it would be like a lunge or jump backwards
    -in order to fast turn you have to bump one joystick up and bump the other down at the same time
    -in order to slowly turn you just push the left joystick forward and the right joystick down gently
    -you can even sidestep with this
    -to side step bump the right joystick right to step right, then follow with the left joystick
    -this is like tank mode (literally feel like you are operating a tank on tracks)
    -you can free look all you want but the camera will not rotate.
    -rotation is locked and is completely at the mercy of the torso manipulation/animation

*joystick = analog stick not an actual joystick*

insight: if you keep bumping up the left joystick (for example) the torso will not automatically rotate. the torso will just be stomping its foot on the ground. rotation must be done by alternating the joysticks; one has to go up and the other one has to go down for rotation to engage.

the above control scheme is what i was thinking about when designing a mirrors edge clone for VR

i still want to experiment with an eye bot mode that is optimized for 1:1 positional tracking. this mode is essentially the complete opposite side of the spectrum....

439088997_640.jpg

"eye bot" mode;
    -this is like controlling a flying eye bot/flying camera) posting.php?mode=quote&f=26&p=110652
    -animation of the torso is completely at the mercy of how you control the flying camera
    -rotation is completely at the mercy of positional tracking data 1:1 (unless seated in game)
    -left joystick moves forwards and backwards (only)
    -right joystick side steps left and right (only)
    -for this mode rotation must be done by actually rotating your head or torso in real life..
    -i was actually thinking about allowing the player to adjust altitude of the flying camera with the right joystick at first...

once you have the modes dialed in, you could map the modes to the triggers:
    -hold left trigger to engage "tank mode"
    -hold right trigger to engage "eye bot mode"

but there is a "hybrid" mode that i am having difficulty designing...

hybrid mode would be the default mode. it is the mode that is active when you are not holding any triggers at all. i have absolutely no clue how to design the hybrid mode at this time....

questions;
    -has any game ever tried to do 1:1 walking manipulation with two joysticks?
    -would it be worth it? sounds way counter-intuitive but perhaps maybe just maybe it would help alleviate motion sickness?
    -is full torso walking manipulation even possible with just joysticks?
    -lots of questions....
    Art3mis
    i think i just figured out a simple way to prototype my experimental "tank mode: full torso manipulation" idea. if anyone is interested in giving it a go with the rift let me know. i would be most interested to hear the results :)
    Art3mis
    It's something I've often thought about myself cubytes. Even before VR. But the risk-averse publisher part of me thinks people wouldn't bother. :lol:

I'm not saying it's not worth a shot though. Apart from the input method, the turning would essentially work just like the "comfort mode" which does a fine job of reducing motion sickness.

I have a few things on my plate but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for your input mate! :)
    Art3mis
    right on right on. just thinking out loud. if comfort mode works then I wouldn't bother with it.

a simple way to test if it has any potential or not would be to clone the left analog stick function onto the the right analog stick. then hack a step limiter of 2 or 3 steps per stick. then practice the alternating patterns to continuously move without getting stopped by the limiter. that should give you a good idea of how it would feel.
    Art3mis
    New update:

- New HeadStick mode.

This mode lets you turn with your head when you're moving (walking or strafing).

When you turn your head past a configurable angle (default 20°) to either the
    left or right, you beging turning at a configurable senstivity, much like an analog
    stick.

You can freely look around normally when not moving

Also, it assumes that if you're looking up 15° or more, you're probably looking
    at something and will NOT turn.

- New FixedAngleHead mode.

This mode is a mix of FixedAngle and HeadStick.

When you turn your head past a configurable angle (default 20°) to either the
    left or right, you will turn in that direction by that angle.

- Got rid of the ?&%[email protected]! OVRPlayerControllerEditor class.

- Various changes to the UI and tweaks.

As usual, please see the OP for complete info!
    Art3mis
    sweetness! i would love to hear feedback regarding these new modes!
    Art3mis
    cubytes wrote:
    sweetness! i would love to hear feedback regarding these new modes!

Same here! :lol:

I take it you don't have a rift?
    Art3mis
    negative I got into VR like a day before the fb acquisition announcement. been playing catch up ever since. gotta wait for the DK2...

but I think it will be worth the wait :)
    Art3mis
    cubytes wrote:
    negative I got into VR like a day before the fb acquisition announcement. been playing catch up ever since. gotta wait for the DK2...

but I think it will be worth the wait :)

I've yet to demo it to anyone who isn't mind blown on contact. And it's just the "shitty" DK1.

They usually don't have any expectations though. As long as you don't expect it to be exactly like jacking into the matrix you should be okay. :)

Not sure if you had any intentions to do any development but it doesn't look like this one will come with a Unity Pro 4 months trial though, which is a bit of a bummer. But UE4 is basically free now so there's that. :)
    Art3mis
    I'm all about game development. its just I don't have the skills.

personally i would like to try my hand at game design and just learn as much as i can as i go. I learn better in social settings then on my own anyways.

yea a bit of a pipe dream but that hasn't stopped me from chasing it :)

I do have beta testing experience. So theres always that to fall back if I fail to to assemble a team. I was on the frontlines of the mobile game gold rush when the app store first came out.

Now I'm on the fronlines of VR :) ready willing and able to start a team or be a part of one.

Honestly I think we as a community should work together rather then compete. I really don't want to see the VR market turn out just like App Store clones clones and more clones....and subpar knockoffs driving a rush to zero.
  • PatimPatamPatimPatam Posts: 293
    Art3mis
    Hey mrgreen! Thanks a lot for this, very useful, and more discussion on this topic is needed! I've actually implemented some of these tests myself before, modifying Tuscany as well (without the polished interface), but didn't release it because i wanted to add a 1st person avatar and never got around it..

From your available modes, these are probably my favorites:

FixedAngle
    Turn Angle: 30
    Smooth Turns: Yes
    Turn Speed: 350

HeadStick
    Turn Angle: 10
    Sensitivity: 3

Personally i didn't like BlinkTurning so much, i found it very distracting. But maybe for people with extreme cases of VR sickness it could be useful.

I also was not very fond of the Technolust mode; it's supposed to be simple but i actually found it a bit confusing, maybe with a bit more practice..

Here are some other modes that i think could be worth trying.. you don't have to implement them, just some suggestions :-)

FixedAngle + FreeHead
    FixedAngle (comfort mode) is a good idea, but personally i would prefer it if you didn't walk were you are looking. I think this also makes you more aware of where your body is facing, and gives more "meaning" to the turn stick.

HeadStick + TurnButton
    Basically a turn button which instead of making you turn where you are looking, activates HeadStick mode (with turn angle = 0)

HeadMouse + TurnButton
    Similar as the one before, but head rotation rotates your body 1 to 1. So if you rotate your head right 45 degrees your body turns 45 degrees right (in total your view turns 90 degrees, then you can release the button and align your head with your body again).

MotionTurn
    Similar to FreeHead Mode but using motion controllers (Hydra or PS Move) yaw instead of thumbsticks, and activated via a turn button. I think the added accuracy and responsiveness provided could really help with motion sickness.

PositionalMove
    Once we have positional tracking with CV2 we could use it to move around (press a "move" button to actívate and then lean forward to move forward for instance). I think it could work well in combination with HeadMouse or MotionTurn.

However as i mentioned before i believe all this could be even more handy if you could actually view your own avatar.. i'm starting to learn UE4 at the moment, so might give it a try myself!
    Art3mis

FixedAngle

HeadStick

awesome :) thanks for sharing this. i was wondering how this would "feel". glad to hear that these above modes are your favorites! kudos to mrgreen for taking the time to experiment with it.
    HeadStick + TurnButton
    Basically a turn button which instead of making you turn where you are looking, activates HeadStick mode (with turn angle = 0)

you think HeadStick should be done only as an activated mode (like while holding a trigger)? or was this just a suggestion? when i was originally thinking about "swivel points" i was worried about it being broken by users jerking their head past the configurable angle during "shock moments". thus accidentally turning around and being disoriented as a result.....
    PositionalMove
    Once we have positional tracking with CV2 we could use it to move around (press a "move" button to actívate and then lean forward to move forward for instance). I think it could work well in combination with HeadMouse or MotionTurn.

yup thought about this too. would absolutely love to hear feedback regarding how this feels as well. especially in the context of being an activated mode. hopefully positional tracking in CV is accurate enough to facilitate this :)
    Art3mis
    PatimPatam wrote:
    Hey mrgreen! Thanks a lot for this, very useful, and more discussion on this topic is needed! I've actually implemented some of these tests myself before, modifying Tuscany as well (without the polished interface), but didn't release it because i wanted to add a 1st person avatar and never got around it..
    Ah! I wonder when you'd show up! :D

I'm also working these on a more "gamey" experience. Actually, I'm using the Unity Stealth Tutorial assets because I'm not much of an artist. There's a first person avatar which is very cool but of course, I have a few issues I need to address with it. That's one hell of a topic in and of itself so I'll try not to derail my own thread here. :lol:
    PatimPatam wrote:

FixedAngle

HeadStick
    I'm pretty much there with you. On paper, I thought Turn Button would be the one but in practice, old habits die hard. We have decades (at least I have) of gamer muscle memory and our gamepads and mice the way we know them are so fucking comfy the right? :lol:
    PatimPatam wrote:
    Personally i didn't like BlinkTurning so much, i found it very distracting. But maybe for people with extreme cases of VR sickness it could be useful.

I've used my girlfriend as a guinea pig and she instantly appreciated that feature. She's not a gamer by any stretch of the imagination and would probably get motion sick just looking at me playing a FPS on a TV though.

Personally, I didn't think all that much about it at first and the more I've used it the more I kinda think it should stick. I do get a little dizzy after playing too much and it really helped me. Sensitivity has to be high enough on the stick so that it really does feel like a blink, otherwise it really takes you out of the experience.

Like you said, It's definitely something you won't use unless you do have sim sickness issues, and that turning motion probably won't feel as bad with higher framerate and low persistence.
    PatimPatam wrote:
    I also was not very fond of the Technolust mode; it's supposed to be simple but i actually found it a bit confusing, maybe with a bit more practice..
    Yeah I'm not too crazy about the triggers part either. ;)
    PatimPatam wrote:
    Here are some other modes that i think could be worth trying.. you don't have to implement them, just some suggestions :-)
    Awesome. I'm definitely gonna give those a shot!

Unfortunately I'm going out of time for work for the rest of the week with only a crappy laptop to work with so I won't be able to get back to this before Sunday. It's a freakin pain because I was having a lot of fun with this stuff.
    PatimPatam wrote:
    HeadMouse + TurnButton
    Similar as the one before, but head rotation rotates your body 1 to 1. So if you rotate your head right 45 degrees your body turns 45 degrees right (in total your view turns 90 degrees, then you can release the button and align your head with your body again).
    I'm not sure I fully get this one. It's gives the same result as the Turn Button but you have to hold and release it... I'm obviously missing something here.
    PatimPatam wrote:
    PositionalMove
    Yup! I'm right there with you. Can't wait!
    PatimPatam wrote:
    However as i mentioned before i believe all this could be even more handy if you could actually view your own avatar.. i'm starting to learn UE4 at the moment, so might give it a try myself!

I'm probably gonna move to UE4 myself now that they're basically giving it away! Looking forward to see your work!
    Art3mis
    cubytes wrote:
    PatimPatam wrote:
    HeadStick + TurnButton
    You think HeadStick should be done only as an activated mode (like while holding a trigger)? or was this just a suggestion? when i was originally thinking about "swivel points" i was worried about it being broken by users jerking their head past the configurable angle during "shock moments". thus accidentally turning around and being disoriented as a result.....
    Yeah personally i prefer it as an activated mode for a couple reasons:

Firstly because i want to be able to walk in one direction and look at any other direction at the same time.

Secondly because I think the turning speed should be gradual corresponding to how much you turn your head, which can be ensured if activated via a button (when you press the turn button you don't start turning until you actually move your head, even if it's altready not looking straight forward).

As it is now i find a bit confusing when you are stopped and looking for instance 90 degrees to your right, then press forward and it starts turning really fast. I think the main point of using head turning is that it always matches with your head turns.
    mrgreen72 wrote:
    Unfortunately I'm going out of time for work for the rest of the week with only a crappy laptop to work with so I won't be able to get back to this before Sunday. It's a freakin pain because I was having a lot of fun with this stuff.
    No worries mate, i know all about this feeling!
    mrgreen72 wrote:
    PatimPatam wrote:
    HeadMouse + TurnButton
    I'm not sure I fully get this one. It's gives the same result as the Turn Button but you have to hold and release it... I'm obviously missing something here.
    Well the key words here are "1 to 1" (which actually, should be more like 1 to 2 as i'll explain later). It's basically the same difference between a thumbstick and a mouse type of control..

We actually know that the main cause of VR sickness is acceleration mistmaches between Real Life and VR, not velocity mistmaches (that's why games like "Shiny" are very comfortable to play). The problem with HeadStick mode (from a VR sickness perspective) is that even though you are using your head to rotate there is still a mismatch between RL and VR accelerations.

So with HeadStick mode when you turn your head for instance 30 degrees to the right what actually happens (approximately) is the following:
    1- acceleration
    2- fixed velocity turn (no acceleration)
    3- deceleration
    4- stopped (turned 30 degrees)

But from these 4 RL stages only the 1st one matches very briefly with what happens in VR:
    1- fast acceleration
    2- acceleration
    3- slower acceleration
    4- fixed velocity turn (no acceleration)

In contrast with HeadMouse mode you would press a button and then your avatar would turn only while your head is turning, so if you turn your head 30 degrees your VR head will turn 30 degrees and your VR body will turn 30 degrees as well (60 degrees total). The actual amount of acceleration would not match 1 to 1 (would be 1 to 2) but at least the acceleration forces would actually match between RL and VR. My theory is that the human brain is quite sensitive to acceleration type mismatches but not so much to actual acceleration values.

The only problem with this is that with a mouse we almost unconsciouslly lift it from the table and move it back to the "center". The equivalent action with HeadMouse would be to release the button when you have finished turning and then recenter your view (note that here accelerations match 1 to 1 again).

I'm really not sure how practical it would be for most people (if you want to turn 90 degrees it forces you to look 180 degrees in you virtual environment and then compensate) but i think it's worth experimenting with. Obviously you can also adjust the ratios, so for instance 30 degrees RL head turn corresponds to 30 degrees VR head turn + 60 degrees avatar turn (90 in total). I did actually implement this and it kind of works, still not sure if i like it very much.. i think i would need to see my own avatar in VR to make up my mind about it.

Ooops, sorry about the long rant.. all this is a bit difficult to explain using just words!
  • AnticlericAnticleric Posts: 525 Oculus Start Member
    Awesome stuff, yet again.
    Just gave you a shout-out on the Technolust Kickstarter.
    Keep us the awesome! :)
    Art3mis
    Anticleric wrote:
    Awesome stuff, yet again.
    Just gave you a shout-out on the Technolust Kickstarter.
    Keep us the awesome! :)
    I saw that!Pretty cool! Thanks! :)

My 15 minutes of glory! :lol:
    Art3mis
    Firstly because i want to be able to walk in one direction and look at any other direction at the same time.

Secondly because I think the turning speed should be gradual corresponding to how much you turn your head, which can be ensured if activated via a button (when you press the turn button you don't start turning until you actually move your head, even if it's altready not looking straight forward).

As it is now i find a bit confusing when you are stopped and looking for instance 90 degrees to your right, then press forward and it starts turning really fast. I think the main point of using head turning is that it always matches with your head turns.

ahh i gotcha. the whole idea of configurable "swivel points" was so you could move in one direction and slightly gaze in another. with swivel points your avatar's body wouldn't turn 1:1. it would only turn when you turn your RL head to hit the configurable angle thus initiating rotation of camera/avatar body. plus you could set it to be very sensitive or very loose depending on personal preference. sensitive would be 15degrees, loose would be 30degrees (or more) but i do like the idea of it being an activated mode tho. i see what you mean and why you are thinking it would be better off to implement headmouse/headstick as an activated mode instead of it being "always on"
    So with HeadStick mode when you turn your head for instance 30 degrees to the right what actually happens (approximately) is the following:
    1- acceleration
    2- fixed velocity turn (no acceleration)
    3- deceleration
    4- stopped (turned 30 degrees)

But from these 4 RL stages only the 1st one matches very briefly with what happens in VR:
    1- fast acceleration
    2- acceleration
    3- slower acceleration
    4- fixed velocity turn (no acceleration)

In contrast with HeadMouse mode you would press a button and then your avatar would turn only while your head is turning, so if you turn your head 30 degrees your VR head will turn 30 degrees and your VR body will turn 30 degrees as well (60 degrees total). The actual amount of acceleration would not match 1 to 1 (would be 1 to 2) but at least the acceleration forces would actually match between RL and VR. My theory is that the human brain is quite sensitive to acceleration type mismatches but not so much to actual acceleration values.

The only problem with this is that with a mouse we almost unconsciouslly lift it from the table and move it back to the "center". The equivalent action with HeadMouse would be to release the button when you have finished turning and then recenter your view (note that here accelerations match 1 to 1 again).

I'm really not sure how practical it would be for most people (if you want to turn 90 degrees it forces you to look 180 degrees in you virtual environment and then compensate) but i think it's worth experimenting with. Obviously you can also adjust the ratios, so for instance 30 degrees RL head turn corresponds to 30 degrees VR head turn + 60 degrees avatar turn (90 in total). I did actually implement this and it kind of works, still not sure if i like it very much.. i think i would need to see my own avatar in VR to make up my mind about it.I'm really not sure how practical it would be for most people (if you want to turn 90 degrees it forces you to look 180 degrees in you virtual environment and then compensate) but i think it's worth experimenting with. Obviously you can also adjust the ratios, so for instance 30 degrees RL head turn corresponds to 30 degrees VR head turn + 60 degrees avatar turn (90 in total). I did actually implement this and it kind of works, still not sure if i like it very much.. i think i would need to see my own avatar in VR to make up my mind about it.

good insight here (RLhead30, VRhead30 then VR Torso60 = 90 in total)

my question is...

if headmouse/headstick was an activated mode, do you think it would be good enough or feel better then that of fast turns? if dialed in properly (with an avatar body acting as a frame of reference) do you think it could replace fast turns as the ideal way to turn around in VR?
    Art3mis
    cubytes wrote:
    if headmouse/headstick was an activated mode, do you think it would be good enough or feel better then that of fast turns? if dialed in properly (with an avatar body acting as a frame of reference) do you think it could replace fast turns as the ideal way to turn around in VR?
    I'm not sure yet to be honest, the problem is that i'm not very prone to getting VR sick.. hopefully all this will become much more clear once we can test it on the DK2. Personally i think i will prefer HeadStick or MotionTurn (combined with PositionalMove) as i believe it will be very intuitive, precise and flexible.

But in general fast turns and/or blinking might be a more safe approach to avoid simulation sickness for beginners; still probably the best bet will be to include both control methods and let people decide for themselves..
    Art3mis
    PatimPatam wrote:
    hopefully all this will become much more clear once we can test it on the DK2.

true that!
    Art3mis
    edited May 2014
    Edit: Nothing to see here! ;)
    Art3mis
    I guess he thought it was kind of funny that it was wrongly attributed and that then the real author was on reddit and corrected it.

I know, i wouldn’t laugh out loud about that, but sometimes people use lol more like saying “oh cool” or something. I wouldn’t take it personally.
    Art3mis
    PatimPatam wrote:
    I guess he thought it was kind of funny that it was wrongly attributed and that then the real author was on reddit and corrected it.

I know, i wouldn’t laugh out loud about that, but sometimes people use lol more like saying “oh cool” or something. I wouldn’t take it personally.
    I didn't see it this way at all but maybe you're right...

I kinda doubt it though. :|
  • JoseJose Posts: 888
    Trinity
    edited May 2014
    [irrelevant post]

[My head was stuck in the clouds]
    Art3mis
    CloudHead cleared that out:
    MrGreen!!! I was totally confused by the reddit thread flow and what you were referring to. Paul at the office clued me in and I was like OOoooooh! He helped work on the Tuscany implementation!

Sorry, I thought it was a weird joke about starting the reddit thread!

That's more like it :lol:
  • HeadTripHeadTrip Posts: 164
    Hiro Protagonist
    Does anyone have an updated version of this, unity 5.1? I would be willing to pay if necessary...i know its old, just a shot in the dark...