Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Oculus Unreal Integration - v1.40 (08/29/19)

NinjaGGNinjaGG Posts: 245 Oculus Staff
edited October 2019 in Unreal Development

Version 1.40 of our integration for Unreal Engine 4.22 has been released!

For more information, see our Unreal Engine Developer Guide.

Note: You must log into a subscribed GitHub account first, otherwise you will get a 404 error from the link below.

You can grab the latest version of the Oculus UE4 Source here: 
More information about this release can be found here.

Integration Changes

• Updated the Oculus Unreal Integration to 1.40.

Bug Fixes

• Miscellaneous bug fixes and performance improvements.

Known Issues

• A significant drop in frame rate occurs when UE4 is not in focus in VR preview mode. To avoid this issue, uncheck the Use Less CPU when in Background in Edit > Editor Preferences > General (left sidebar) > Miscellaneous (left sidebar) > Performance.
  • Exclusive Mode issues: Setting the mirror window to full-screen exclusive mode will not work correctly if the monitor and HMD are connected to different GPUs.
The thread for the previous version (v1.39) can be found here: https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/79117/oculus-unreal-integration-v1-39-07-26-19
If you need immediate help or want additional support/context on an issue you are having with our platform or integrations:

1. Gather any and all logs, screenshots, and version numbers of relevant software (Oculus SDK, engine, etc.)
2. Please submit a ticket here (include what you've gathered in step 1).
3. Tag me @NinjaGaijin once you have done so!

Comments

• CorysiaCorysia Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    @NinjaGG
    When is Oculus going to resync the Unreal 4.23 branch?  It's days behind the actual release.
  • kcmonkeykcmonkey Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    @NinjaGG
    Hello, 
    After switched to vulkan we saw a huge performance improvement over es3.1, but the weird rendering artifact appears.

As shown in the above image, there are purple dots shown on screen and we don't know what's causing it. Also, when building our game in development mode with vulkan enabled, the game will crash at launch. We are using the latest Unreal 4.22.3 pulled from oculus' repo(commit 73f652a56eeb7311db5377b9c4addeb8d16142cb). Please help. 

• motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,471 Oculus Start Member
    I suspect something is off with vanilla 4.23 release - neither Epic is rushing to release 4.23.1 hotfix nor Oculus is rushing to release 4.23 integration. Maybe some deep bug that requires fixing on Epic's part ?

Or maybe with all these new cool features they are working on 1.42 integrations and 4.23 will come out with it instead of 1.40 ?
  • MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 184 Oculus Start Member
    edited September 2019
    @motorsep I guess all Oculus staff have been busy doing stuff for OC6. I really hope an updated version (1.40) for 4.23 comes very soon. Great to hear in a talk at OC6 on how good Vulkan performs but would be nice if we could use it as well in UE 4.23.
    Anyone tried making a build on the Oculus 4.23 branch on github or doesn't it work until they say so? Edit: tested it and it results in 4.22.3 with OC 1.40 integration
    So, last commit into 4.23 Oculus branch was in August. We are heading into middle of October. It would be nice to have more transparency :/ Are there some major issues with 4.23 that preventing Oculus from merging latest integration ? 
    I know 4.23 has a few VR related bugs (and 4.23.1 isn't even in works, judging by the state of Epic's bug tracker for 4.23.1) and some binary plugins compatibility issues, but is it really a factor ?
  • aussieburgerVRaussieburgerVR Posts: 244 Oculus Start Member
    I'm using Epic's 4.23 binary at the moment as I have a performance issue in 4.22 that has been fixed with it. Would love to use the latest OculusVR sdk with 4.23 however so really hoping we can get an update soon, as the current 4.23 Oculus branch is on an older 4.23 preview which still has a few unfixed bugs effecting Go and Quest development!
    +1 Would love to use the latest OculusVR additions and Vulkan in all projects.
    At the moment using projects in 3 different versions; some in binary 4.22 and 4.23 and a few in OCbranch 4.22. Would really like to go with all to 4.23 OC branch. Crossing fingers...
    edited October 2019
    Our prayers have been answered :) I see 4.23.0 + 1.41 just popped up on the github

Not to mention Audio SDK is 1.41 too ! And Platform SDK is 1.40 :blush:

Thanks Oculus UE4 team!!!!
    Thats brilliant news. @motorsep You already tested building this update? Downloading now...
    MaxArch said:
    Thats brilliant news. @motorsep You already tested building this update? Downloading now...
    No, I only had time to build engine, convert my project and compile shaders.. I'll mess with it after I get off work.

If you get to test performance before I do, please let us know here.
    edited October 2019
    @motorsep Just tested with a small project (180k tris).
    Using only static lights (build with GPU lightmass) and mobile multiview+direct. FFR is set on 'high'

Used OVR metrics tool on the Quest to get some data.

The binary UE 4.23.0 and the O-VR build seem to have the same performance - about 68-72 fps.
    When Vulkan is enabled I loose about 18 fps and a few purple glitches appear (has been reported before). Memory usage is half with Vulkan (1429 vs 695)

I hoped to gain a few fps using Vulkan. Maybe Renderdoc can reveal why Vulkan is loosing fps.

@MaxArch

So 4.23.0 is slower than 4.22.3 ?
    @motorsep Can't say. I only compared the Epic Binary UE 4.23 to the O-VR 4.23 branch with and without Vulkan. Haven't tested it against O-VR 4.22.3 branch (and removed that already from my system)
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hmmm, when you guys built the engine, did you get something like this:

$ ./GenerateProjectFiles.command 

Setting up Unreal Engine 4 project files...

Running installed mono, version:  Mono JIT compiler version 5.18.0.268 (2018-08/68aad3b0eb7 Tue Feb 26 07:23:00 PST 2019)
    2019-10-11 09:50:14.302 defaults[6564:194818] 
    The domain/default pair of (com.epicgames.ue4, MonoAOT) does not exist
    While compiling /opt/private/Unreal/UnrealEngine/Samples/Oculus/AvatarSamples/Intermediate/Build/BuildRules/AvatarSamplesModuleRules.dll:
    /opt/private/Unreal/UnrealEngine/Samples/Oculus/AvatarSamples/Plugins/OVRLipSync/Source/OVRLipSync/OVRLipSync.Build.cs(37,16) : warning CS0219: The variable `TargetBinariesDirectory' is assigned but its value is never used
    Generating data for project indexing... 96%Oculus Avatar SDK not supported for this platform
    100%
    Writing project files... 100%
    This is the 4.23 branch, pulled fresh this morning.
    I didn't see anything like that (I am on Windows 10 if case you are on a different OS).
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yes, I'm on OSX.  I don't get this message in the 4.22 branch.  Well, ShaderCompileWorker built OK.  I guess I'll see what UE4 does now.