Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build of Windows (19013) incompatible with Oculus

SanBase
Explorer
I'm
an Windows insider (this is such a program for testing new versions of the OS),
so I get new builds. The problem occurred after update to version 19013. In the Oculus window I
began to receive the message "you need to install a new driver." OK, I
clicked on “install”, the installation was done, but after reboot the message
remained. I repeated it several times - the same effect. Then I decided to fix
the Oculus system and clicked on “fix” in the setup. After 15 minutes of hard
work, I received a message that "we encountered an error during
installation." After that, I generally lost the Oculus icon. Then I tried
to install the Oculus from scratch, for which I even renamed the folder
"C:/Oculus" but this did not help either - after the installation I
get message about the "error during installation" again. 
Since I am developing the application for Oculus, I had to go back to the previous version of the OS. When I rolled
down to build 18362 everything began to work fine. I informed Technical Support about this case and asked them to inform QA or development but they said: "as technical
support we do not have direct contact with other departments."
I think Oculus development team should investigate this issue ASAP, since Microsoft may release a new
update and all users may encounter such problem.
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'am still on windows 7, and the stuck "new driver required" happend for me too after the latest oculus update ( V1.43 i think ). Tried the repair route ( using a complete fresh downloaded Oculus Rift setup exe ). Repair did'nt work either
After it completed almost 100% i got an error and that i have to reboot and start over again
But this did't work either , tried 10 times in a row
Finally i completely uninstalled all Oculus traces from the system, but still the error and reboot message appear
So im without any working Oculus software right now ( the oculus install folders are nearly empty except the setup .exe )
I also tried different Oculus install target drives ( via setup command line parameter ) to no avial
All AV and other possible conflicts have been disabled, every USB device disconnected

For the moment i simply gave up
As i got to develop for the Oculus Go too and have an urgent (commercial !) project to finish this weekend , i had to manually reinstall the Oculus Go ADB and USB drivers from a safety backup of the extracted drivers ( grabbed from the temp directory during setup before they got deleted again), as on top of this mess, the Oculus rift installer wipes the Oculus Go driver setup too from the system ! Great Fun !

I'm pretty disappointed by this tightly closed black box oculus installers  ( you can't eg. install the rift drivers only to at least allow unity to drive the Oculus Rift in the Editor for development purposes )
Pretty pissed ATM to be honest ...

SP: On top of that mess, the setup still insists that i have to install those to microsoft KB at start, but when i install them, they KB installers tell me they are alreadfy installed.... Have to bypass that check via commandline paramter too
MORE FUN !
Here's the error window i always get ... but i guess everybody knows that already

jc08dlxbxfw3.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
BTW: according to the OculusSetup.log the setup constantly fails at driver installation at the end of the whole setup process ( ignore the X: target drive ,, as written above, samewith default system drive )

[Error] [24.11.2019 08:08:40] Process X:\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers\oculus-driver.exe exited with code -1 (failure).
[Debug] [24.11.2019 08:08:40] Install 'Dawn.Setup.InstallDriversStep' failed.
[Warning] [24.11.2019 08:08:40] Rolling back installation.
[Error] [24.11.2019 08:08:44] Process X:\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers\oculus-driver.exe exited with code -1 (failure).

Inside the specific driver installation log i read something about Rift S drivers only being compatible with Win 10
but i'm using the original Rift ...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ha ! - finally i succeeded
What i did is using windows own "pnputil"  driver installation commandline tool to MANUALLY install ALL extracted driver INF files i grabbed from the "OculusDriverInstaller" folder in the temp directory during an earlier oculus install
this way it seems that the main setup considers all drivers to be installed and thus can't fail on driver install at the end of the whole installation

BTW: pnputil can be used to install a driver th efollowing way ( be sure to launch it in a command prompt with current directory set to where all the inf files are ( the "OculusDriverInstaller"  folder )

pnputil -i -a <specific_driver>.inf

mountp
Honored Guest
I also have this issue. I tried everything I could think of to get past this problem. I will check doing the installation with the pnputil as stated above. This really sucks though