Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Unreal 4.25.X changes and issues

MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 212 Oculus Start Member
edited March 5 in Unreal Development
New UE version 4.25 - some changes / issues. Lets put them in one topic for an easy overview and catching up..

4.25.0 preview 1
- Too bad, the new Epic-GPU lightmass plugin is not in this version. Target might be 4.26 (if you build the dev branch you get 4.26)
- When you make a build for Quest, it will fail and you need to install a newer NDK (21). Normally its in the UE extras directory. Not yet. Find it here https://developer.android.com/ndk/downloads  Download it, extract the zip and put it in the NVPACK dir. Change the Dir in the project settings.
- With the new NDK, building for Quest works but it immediately crashes on Quest. There are a few new project settings but haven't found the right combo yet. ADB logcat has: 'Abort message: 'The requested API version in ovrInitParms (1.1.29.0) is not compatible with this version of VrApi Loader (1.1.31.0)!''. No clue if this is a user setting or a Engine-bug. Reported at Epic.
- update 03-05: tried both building a new project and re-using an existing and working 4.24 project. Both crash on Quest. Only difference is the existing project takes longer to crash.
- update 03-06 "The crash on Quest is known and we're working to have it fixed prior to full 4.25 release."

Comments

• motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,504 Oculus Start Member
    Damn... I would say it's just a Preview 1, but then again why would it not work if 4.24 worked... Damn Epic!!

Btw, they moved all XR bug reports relevant to Quest from 4.25 to 4.26 which who knows will be coming out (by Christmas 2020 ? ).
  • MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 212 Oculus Start Member
    Update: the crash on Quest "is known and we're working to have it fixed prior to full 4.25 release."
    4.25p2 is out.. Doesn't look like there are any Quest specific (or Oculus VR specific) fixes :/
    Tested 4.25.0.p2 Can't even make an android build now because its missing essential stuff. Copying some from the 4.24 folders only results in new missing stuff. Reported.
  • rasamayarasamaya Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    MaxArch said:
    Tested 4.25.0.p2 Can't even make an android build now because its missing essential stuff. Copying some from the 4.24 folders only results in new missing stuff. Reported.
    The next message is probably the java message. copy that folder over too. Now everything builds successfully at least.
    @rasamaya well, if it builds and runs for you on Quest, could you please check if Niagara works in VR and performs as well as Cascade ?  o:)
    @rasamaya did you run the app on the Quest as well? I copied those folders and it builds now but the app still crashes immediately on the Quest for me.
  • rasamayarasamaya Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    MaxArch said:
    @rasamaya did you run the app on the Quest as well? I copied those folders and it builds now but the app still crashes immediately on the Quest for me.
    Builds, but crashes right away. Was just making progress, one step at a time. Upon playing in headset, it crashes and its a known error they are working on. Been trying to get it to work too lol.
    Updated to 4.25.0.p3 Still Android errors so still no builds for Quest possible.
    On p2 I got a reply from Epic, they couldn't reproduce the error. Added a bit more info but no response.
    edited April 1
    Updated to 4.25.0.p4. Finally builds for Android work again but... when opening the app on the Quest its endless stuck at the three blinking dots. Have to reboot the Quest to get control back. Used a working 4.24 project to test. Anyone succeeded in deploying for Quest in 4.25.0.p4?
    Update April 2: yesterday tested p5, still the same. Reported already.
  • aussieburgerVRaussieburgerVR Posts: 282 Oculus Start Member
    Did you go through the new Android studio process for your builds?
    main reason I haven't tested it yet :D

@aussieburgerVR Yes, I did. All is installed and build is successful. We've seen something like this before so waiting for p6.
    Finally got around to trying it on the Go and has a black screen on load - no surprise I guess considering similar behavior on the Quest as you guys mentioned
    just tried P6 - still the same problem - three blinking dots and have to hard-reboot the Quest to get control back. Too bad. Hoping for P7...
    MaxArch said:
    just tried P6 - still the same problem - three blinking dots and have to hard-reboot the Quest to get control back. Too bad. Hoping for P7...
    I think it's the integration version mismatch. Whatever comes with stock UE4 is few version behind from whatever is current on HMD and integration version should match (+/-1 version) HMD OS version, afaik.
    I would expect Epic has at least one Quest to test and a direct communication with devs at Oculus. I guess Epic has bigger problems to solve first.
  • dMsdMs Posts: 5
    Brain Burst
    What's new in 4.25.0p6? 
    MaxArch said:
    I would expect Epic has at least one Quest to test and a direct communication with devs at Oculus. I guess Epic has bigger problems to solve first.
    No, Epic just doesn't care for VR as much as they do for Fortnite and AAA third party games in the pipeline.
    dMs said:
    What's new in 4.25.0p6? 
    Epic released preliminary notes on what's new in 4.25 and you can read it on the UE4 forum. As for VR, gotta wait for Oculus to release their 4.25 fork to know what's new in it for Oculus VR.
    Tested 4.25.0p7: a brand new VR template project builds & launches nice now on Quest. Hurrai.
    Problem: old/converted projects still crash like before. Have to investigate more whats causing this
    anyone know if this issue is also with 4.25 on the Go?:

I've not been able to get a 4.25 build to load yet..

• Mad_MethodsMad_Methods Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Is quest hand tracking officially supported in 4.25?
    Just updated to the official 4.25.0. Only did one test build. First impression;
    - arm 64 works again for Quest builds.
    - splash screen (default settings in project settings-Oculus) is still broken
    - shader compiling seems a bit faster (havent timed before/after upgrading though)

will update when I have had more time to test

@Mad_Methods No - Oculus hasn't released/created it for UnrealEngine yet. No eta as far as I know.
  • HEGIHEGI Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    For some reason using the reverb plugin crashes when opening the app with 4.25.  
    My Android Audio settings now look like this and it works.

Brain Burst
    edited May 6
    Builds fine, but when I put the project to Oculus Quest, running it fails. 

What steps I can take? Not sure how to debug. Any recommendations?
    edited May 6
    For debugging the Quest I do:
    1. open a command prompt (dos box)
    2. go to your D drive (can be any harddrive) by typing 'cd D:' (cd capital D and : -> the forum makes a smiley of that combination)
    3. paste 'adb logcat *:S DEBUG:V UE4:V VRAPI:V > debug.log' this will create a log file on the the current drive (step 2) and only list entries with UE4 and VRAPI
    4. start the app on the Quest (it must be connected to your computer at the previous step 3
    5. when your app on the Quest crashes, cntr-C in the dos box to stop the creation of the log file
    6. open the log file. Scroll to the bottom en see if you can find some Errors that make sense to you

Brain Burst
    MaxArch said:
    For debugging the Quest I do:
    1. open a command prompt (dos box)
    2. go to your D drive (can be any harddrive) by typing 'cd D:' (cd capital D and : -> the forum makes a smiley of that combination)
    3. paste 'adb logcat *:S DEBUG:V UE4:V VRAPI:V > debug.log' this will create a log file on the the current drive (step 2) and only list entries with UE4 and VRAPI
    4. start the app on the Quest (it must be connected to your computer at the previous step 3
    5. when your app on the Quest crashes, cntr-C in the dos box to stop the creation of the log file
    6. open the log file. Scroll to the bottom en see if you can find some Errors that make sense to you

Thank you, I will try this. 
    Do you have any issues yourself running an app built on 4.25.0?
    @dMs Can't say - only tested one project and launched fine (no splash screen though).
  • G4mble270G4mble270 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited May 7
    Hey,
    I'm using the official 4.25 release and when I create a fresh C++ project and just step into the code and go to for example "IOculusInputModule.h" or "OculusHMD.h" its throwing errors on some #include statements (that are correct) but it doesn't seem to find the files or its unable to open the files.

EDIT: The most errors are coming from "OculusPluginWrapper.h" starting at line 62 all the "OCULUS_DECLARE_ENTRY_POINT" definitions are marked with these errors:

1>G:\Unreal Engine\UE_4.25\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\Oculus\OculusVR\Source\OculusHMD\Private\OculusPluginWrapper.h(84): error C2238: unexpected token(s) preceding ';'

1>G:\Unreal Engine\UE_4.25\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\Oculus\OculusVR\Source\OculusHMD\Private\OculusPluginWrapper.h(85): error C2143: syntax error: missing ';' before '*'

1>G:\Unreal Engine\UE_4.25\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\Oculus\OculusVR\Source\OculusHMD\Private\OculusPluginWrapper.h(85): error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int

What happened there?