IMPORTANT:

All Oculus Quest developers MUST PASS the concept review prior to gaining publishing access to the Quest Store and additional resources. Submit a concept document for review as early in your Quest application development cycle as possible: https://developer.oculus.com/quest-pitch/

For additional information and context, please see "Submitting Your App to the Oculus Quest Store".
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Oculus Unity Integration is broken for Unity 2018.1 on Quest

tzmtntzmtn Posts: 8
NerveGear
edited March 17 in Oculus Quest Development
Unity: 2018.1.9f2
Oculus SDK: 12.0 / 13.0 / 14.0

It looks like the last few versions of the Oculus Unity Integration are not working on Quest when built from Unity 2018.1 anymore.

Reproducing:
  1. Create a new Unity project in Unity 2018.1.9f2
  2. Download Oculus Unity Integration 1.43 and import it into the project (enough to import just the VR subfolder)
  3. Open the Oculus/VR/Scenes/Cubes sample scene and set it as the only scene in the build settings
  4. Open the project settings and make sure these settings are correct:
    * Virtual Reality Supported is checked in the 'XR Settings' section
    * Only the 'Oculus' SDK is selected in the 'XR Setting' section 'Virtual Reality SDKs' list
    * 'Minimum API Level' is set to API level 16 in the 'Other Settings' section
  5. Build and run the application to Quest
This should run correctly.
Now try following the same steps, but replace the version of the Oculus Unity Integration in step 2 with version 12.0 or above and the application will not run correctly anymore. Instead, it will open up on a flat screen inside the Quest OS.

Notes:
  • As a shortcut, instead of following all these steps from scratch, I close Unity, delete the Oculus folder, open unity and re-import the Oculus Integration.
  • I tested this on versions 1.42, 1.43, 12.0, 13.0, 14.0
  • I can't upgrade my game from 2018.1 because it relies on UNET for multiplayer, and UNET stops working above this version (even though Unity's documentation suggests otherwise).
Tagged:

Comments

• tzmtntzmtn Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited March 18
    I noticed that the OVRPlugin doesn't initialize properly and a call to OVRPlugin.OVRP_1_1_0.ovrp_GetNativeSDKVersion() returns null.
    My assumption is that it might be due to the fact that at some point the Integration started to require the Oculus desktop / android packages to be installed. Was this dependency added in Integration 12.0?
    The problem is that Unity 2018.1 doesn't have these packages in the package manager. Or am I missing something here? Is there a way to manually install these packages from github or something?
  • CNevanCNevan Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Hey there, did you ever find a solution to this? I am having a similar problem with OVRPlugin.OVRP_1_1_0.ovrp_GetNativeSDKVersion() returning null, so it always says version 0.0.0 for the SDK.
  • tzmtntzmtn Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I haven't, but I was able to upgrade the project to 2018.4 which also has UNet. There the OVR plugin works