IMPORTANT:

All Oculus Quest developers MUST PASS the concept review prior to gaining publishing access to the Quest Store and additional resources. Submit a concept document for review as early in your Quest application development cycle as possible: https://developer.oculus.com/quest-pitch/

For additional information and context, please see "Submitting Your App to the Oculus Quest Store".
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

Oculus Browser 360 Video Specifications?

VOYREVOYRE Posts: 1
NerveGear
I've been running tests on playing back 360 video content in the Oculus Browser (assuming its version 10.0) on a Quest and am getting a lot of unusual behavior.

The browser doesn't seem to support over/under stereo content in 1:1 or 2:1 aspect ratios. It adds letterboxing and pillarboxing to reformat the content in a 16:9 aspect ratio. It also has very limited H264 level support, I couldn't find any official specs, but based on my testing it looks like anything with a resolution beyond what level 5.1 supports won't play back. "Best" quality I can get so far is a 3840x2160 16:9 formatted mp4 but it doesn't stretch the video properly so you get a black seam line down the back.

There's no cubemap support so you can't go to Facebook and play back a video, youtube doesn't work (which isn't oculus' problem per se, but still...) it's essentially a useless browser for anything 360 video related. 

Is there any resource for best practices with that browser with encoding 360 (i.e: resolution, codec support, frame rate, etc)?

Will it be updated to support modern H264 levels?