Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

HandSample Example Project Not Working

aweidenhammeraweidenhammer Posts: 23
Brain Burst
edited June 30 in Unreal Development
I downloaded the latest 4.25 version of the Oculus UE4 editor and built it (no issues).  Here's where I got it: https://github.com/Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine/tree/oculus-4.25.0-release-1.49.0-v17.0

Included in that are some examples.  One of them is called the HandSample project.

I opened that and tried launching and building (no errors) onto the Quest.

Hands track, but only positionally (static hands with incorrect orientations).  There is no joint movement or finger tracking.  Is this how the project is supposed to run?  I would guess not, as I'd like to use it to help with our development of true hand tracking.  Any info would be much appreciated.

Andrew

Comments

• aussieburgerVRaussieburgerVR Posts: 269 Oculus Start Member
    edited July 2
    I can't even seem to get it running on the Quest - crash on start everytime was there any settings you needed to change?

That project and the handsTrainMap sample with the same crash on start result:

what do you have for your SDK API level and NDK API level under "Platforms- Android SDK" ?

EDIT: got it working by changing the NDK API level to "android-21" and experienced the same as you with that sample project which is strange since there is a pinch animation in the content folder.

Also for the great looking Train sample the hands don't show any models at all for me the hands themselves are tracking as there are trace beams coming from them...

• madturtle84madturtle84 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same issue. Looking at the BP setting now I honestly don't see anything wrong. 
    However when I export OculusHand_L, OculusHand_R into my VR project, it all works fine.

Here's an example of setting up right hand:
    1. Add OculusHandComponent under MotionController
    2. Set SkeletonMesh to the OculusHand_R model exported from the sample project
    3. Set both SkeletonType and MeshType to HandRight
    4. In the CustomSkeletonMesh group, make sure all values are matching the bone name in the OculusHand_R model. 
  • aweidenhammeraweidenhammer Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    Thanks to both of you for confirming the issue!  (yes I was using android-21 for ndk).

Madturtle, thanks for going the extra step.  I'll give this a go and report back.  I just kind of assumed if the example project wouldn't work, then there was no point in trying my own scene.  I am often wrong;)

Andrew

Brain Burst
    Well, well.  That works great!

Just remember to set up your VR Pawn with a SetTrackingOrigin = Floor Level
    Otherwise your hands won't appear in the right place.  Thanks again madturtle!
  • alessia.lorenzi.alelalessia.lorenzi.alel Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Hi! I have problems too with handsample. Why am I getting the following error messages? (I activated oculus plugins)
    Failed to load /Script/OculusInput.OculusHandComponent Referenced by SCS_Node_7
    Failed to load /Script/OculusInput.OculusHandComponent Referenced by SCS_Node_9
    Failed to load /Script/OculusInput.OculusHandComponent Referenced by SCS_Node_8
    Failed to load /Script/OculusInput.OculusHandComponent Referenced by SCS_Node_11

Brain Burst
    Alessia, are you using a compiled version of the Oculus branch of Unreal Engine?  The launcher version won't have these components.
    NerveGear
    I think the problem could be the UnrealBuildTool.
    I downloaded the files in github (Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine)

installed visual studio 2017 including c++ for game, used Setup.bat and then GenerateProjectFiles.bat that gave several errors...  warning MSB3088, warning MSB3101, error CS2012, error MSB3491 (access denied, unable to write). 

Actually I am not able to solve this problem 

NerveGear
    the error is: 

Setting up Unreal Engine 4 project files...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targe

ts(2106,5): warning MSB3088: non è stato possibile leggere il file di stato "obj\Development\DotNETUtilities.csprojAsse

mblyReference.cache". Accesso al percorso 'C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Source\Programs\DotNETCommon\DotNETUtilities\obj\Development\DotNETUtilities.csprojAssemblyReference.cache' negato. [C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Source\Programs\DotNETCommon\DotNETUtilities\DotNETUtilities.csproj]

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targe

ts(2106,5): warning MSB3101: non è stato possibile scrivere il file di stato "obj\Development\DotNETUtilities.csprojAss

emblyReference.cache". Accesso al percorso 'C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Source\Programs\DotNETCommon\Dot

NETUtilities\obj\Development\DotNETUtilities.csprojAssemblyReference.cache' negato. [C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.2

5\Engine\Source\Programs\DotNETCommon\DotNETUtilities\DotNETUtilities.csproj]

CSC : error CS2012: Non è possibile aprire 'C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Source\Programs\DotNETCommon\Dot

NETUtilities\obj\Development\DotNETUtilities.dll' per la scrittura - 'Accesso al percorso 'C:\Program Files\Epic Games\

UE_4.25\Engine\Source\Programs\DotNETCommon\DotNETUtilities\obj\Development\DotNETUtilities.dll' negato.' [C:\Program F

iles\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Source\Programs\DotNETCommon\DotNETUtilities\DotNETUtilities.csproj]

ts(5126,5): error MSB3491: non è stato possibile scrivere righe nel file "obj\Development\DotNETUtilities.csproj.FileLi

stAbsolute.txt". Accesso al percorso 'C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Source\Programs\DotNETCommon\DotNETUti

lities\obj\Development\DotNETUtilities.csproj.FileListAbsolute.txt' negato. [C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine

\Source\Programs\DotNETCommon\DotNETUtilities\DotNETUtilities.csproj]

ts(5126,5): error MSB3491: non è stato possibile scrivere righe nel file "obj\Development\UnrealBuildTool.csproj.FileLi

stAbsolute.txt". Accesso al percorso 'C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\obj\De

velopment\UnrealBuildTool.csproj.FileListAbsolute.txt' negato. [C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Source\Progr

ams\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.csproj]

GenerateProjectFiles ERROR: UnrealBuildTool failed to compile.

NerveGear
    edited July 4
    I managed to run the GenerateProjectFiles.bat without errors but I'm getting errors building the UE4.sln
    can't open:
    "OculusInputFunctionLibrary.generated.h"
    "OculusInputFunctionLibrary.h"
    "OculusHandComponent.generated.h"
    no functions for:    UOculusHandComponent::UOculusHandComponent
    why? :(

• ShaomaiShaomai Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    @aweidenhammer, have you tried HandTrackingSample.umap or HandTrackingCustomSample.umap in the HandSample project?