cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COPY and PASTE basic functions required for wireless VR. Can it be done / why not?

Trance_Gemini
Explorer
I am looking for an answer(s) to address a matter of basic functionality.  Here is what I would like to achieve: Using Oculus Quest wirelessly, to be able to open the Oculus browser (or browser from within a VR App), select a URL or block of text, copy it to clipboard, to enter a VR application (Altspace / VRChat), be able to paste saved clipboard into receiving field.

It seems a real simple problem, but I have yet to find any web-based text editors that include a copy function, or indeed whether this would transfer itself to some form of clipboard within the Quest.

Headbanging doesn't work, hope someone will have already addressed this query and be able to provide an answer.

Many thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Icepick869
Protege
This has been suggested in the https://oculus.uservoice.com/ and they seem to be dead set on ignoring it. Sorry to be negative, but this is my number 1 gripe.

jeremy1988
Explorer
I agree. Instead of using the browser for productivity many are resorting to apps that show the PC screen. However, many people either don't have a PC or would rather use VR apps for productivity without needing to lug a laptop everywhere, but this is usually not functional without a copy paste function. It would also be nice if pressing tab on a keyboard was functional as well instead of needing to pick up a controller and select another spot or tap the space bar many times if wanting to use tab while typing. Also, how do you change file names of pictures and other files in order to share them on the browser with a name that is accepted by a website as is required for many people to do before submitting?

TommyFHickok
Explorer
pain in the but to not have a basic functionality cant even paste video links you have t jump on something  else to do the same thing not a smart thing on facebooks part to leave it out

JimmySixDOF
Honored Guest
Any idea if copy/paste could be implemented inside one program stand alone (copy paste between two text boxes int he same app) or is this intentionally disabled by FB ?

SomeCallMeMitch
Explorer
I thought I had a workaround, which actually partially works. If you sync your desktop FireFox browser with your FireFox Reality browser app in your headset you will get a transfer of bookmarks, history, etc. The problem is that the FireFox Reality browser doesn't work with some VR apps such as MatterPort, which is a great one to experience. The exact same links work fine in the quest browser, but not in FireFox...

angyfrog
Honored Guest

I've found a workaround: bluetooth keyboards (paired under settings -> experimental features). The only downsides to that are you have to get good at touch-typing, there's no autocorrect, and you have to adjust your power time-out settings. Keyboard shortcuts 100% work though. Its seriously disappointing to learn that this "groundbreaking" tech company is weirdly resistant to adding a set of universal, fundamental commands to their UI. So unprofessional. Hopefully enough people complain and things change.

Hold down right trigger until blue teardrop please like you would do on a cell phone.. Then while still holding trigger scroll over text you want to copy.. When does let go and select copy.. To paste go to required field click with right trigger then click trigger and hold down until teardrop appears.. Let go click blue drop and select Paste.