cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z Buffer Precision Issues

eVInteractive
Protege
Hey all - Just getting in to Quest development on Unity.  Having great fun so far, but running into z buffer precision issues.  I'm working on a flight sim, so we have a very large depth range.  I'm noticing that the Quest's z-precision feels a little below that of most mobile GPUs.  I'm getting a lot of z fighting on Quest where I wouldn't on most mobile chips.  Are there depth buffer precision options I have access to?  Is there perhaps some other issue a novice VR developer is missing here 😉
6 REPLIES 6

PolyMad
Protege

I see the same problem: being near to world origin is ok, but once I get even just 50 meters away, I start noticing Z buffer fights on practically every object crossing another one.

This makes me think that probably we need not move the character in the world, but the world around the player... which sounds crazy, but how else would you solve this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not that crazy. There's at least one asset in the Unity Asset Store that implements it:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/packs/continuous-floating-origin-195971

PolyMad
Protege

Thank you for pointing this out, cool asset!

However, I solved: there is a setting in the XR section of Unity Project Settings, that allows for 24 bit precision Z buffer.

Where is that setting? I'm using Unity 2021 and it's nowhere to be found on the Project Settings for XR.

go to the xr plugin management, openxr and then its the drop down for depth submission mode, change from none to whatever you need

Now they removed it.

There is only for Vulkan.

There is something NEEDED, and they remove it.

I have no words for this really.