cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender

paintedrealms
Honored Guest
I use blender a lot for 3d animation. I can design wonderful worlds using blender. Could we somehow create a development kit or plugin for blender? how would we go about taking our 3d world in blender and walking through it with our rift? can we create a step by step?
14 REPLIES 14

molton
Explorer
Blender is practically Unity's 3d modeling software in use. Unity works extremely nicely with blender, you can save your blender files in your Unity project folder and when you switch back to Unity it will re-import your changes. Just get Unity free, make a new project, save your blender model in the project folder, put your model from the project view into the unity scene,import the oculus integration package, copy in an OVRPlayerController prefab to your scene where you want to start, and you're good to go.

TomRintjema
Honored Guest
I would like to be able to use my Rift inside Blender to do the modeling. That way you would get depth information from the 3D effect of the headset as you work. Something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/sjyUWaB.png

Klopp
Honored Guest
Hi !
I don't think it would be an enormous problem. The trick is to code the tools inside the Blender Game Engine (the Game Engine inside Blender). (For the developers here, you can't use the BPY inside the BGE, so you must code specific tools for the BGE).
But it's surely possible! With motivation and help from some forum like http://blenderartists.org/forum/index.php in particular 😉

melts
Honored Guest
I think once OpenHMD becomes DK2-comptible, it should be possible to integrate it with Blender. The rendering itself would probably have to be done using extended mode. Any OpenHMD developers on this forum?

hamzaahmad15
Honored Guest

Creating a development kit or plugin for Blender to enable walking through your 3D modeling world with a Rift (presumably an Oculus Rift or similar VR headset) is definitely possible and can be a fun and rewarding project. Let's break down the steps to achieve this:

1. Setting Up the Development Environment:

• First, make sure you have the necessary software and hardware. You'll need Blender, a VR headset like Oculus Rift, and a compatible PC.
    • Install the required development tools and libraries for building Blender plugins.
  2. Familiarize Yourself with Blender's API:

• Blender has a Python API that allows you to interact with and extend its functionality.
    • Spend some time getting familiar with the Blender API documentation to understand how you can access and manipulate 3D scenes, objects, cameras, etc.
  3. Create a Blender Plugin:

• Start by creating a new Blender plugin. You can define custom operators and panels within the plugin.
    • Your plugin will need to handle exporting your 3D world from Blender to a format compatible with VR platforms.
  4. Choose a VR Framework:

• You'll need a VR framework that supports the Oculus Rift or the specific VR headset you're using.
    • Popular VR frameworks include Unity or Unreal Engine. These engines can integrate with Blender through various export formats.
  5. Exporting the 3D World from Blender:

• Define a method in your Blender plugin to export your 3D scene into a format compatible with your chosen VR framework.
    • The export process may involve converting meshes, textures, animations, and camera data into a format suitable for real-time rendering in VR.
  6. Importing into Unity or Unreal Engine:

• Use the exported files in Unity or Unreal Engine to recreate your 3D world and set up a VR project.
    • Import the 3D models, textures, and animations into your VR project.
    • Set up the VR camera to enable smooth movement and interaction.
  7. Testing in VR:

• With your VR project set up, you can now test your 3D world using the Oculus Rift or your chosen VR headset.
    • Ensure that the VR camera movements match the experience of walking through your 3D world in Blender.
  8. Iterate and Improve:

• This process may involve several iterations to fine-tune the experience and fix any issues that arise during testing.
    • Gather feedback and make improvements to enhance the VR experience.
  9. Distribution:

• Once you have a polished VR experience, you can distribute it to others who can then explore your 3D world using their VR headsets.

Remember that this project involves a considerable amount of work and learning, but it can be a great learning experience and open up new possibilities for showcasing your 3D models in virtual reality. Happy blending and VR developing!