cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing UE defaults

kamau00
Explorer
I am in the process of learning UE4 to port my game (The Stacks) to it.

There are a lot of oddities to configuration that needed adjusted. My hope is that this helps others starting to use UE4 for Oculus Rift development:

#1. The scale of default door and frame are wrong. The door is 200cm tall. That is 6.56 feet. Doors in my house are 6.8 feet. This means you need it to be 208cm. That is a scaling factor of 1.04. That doesn't mean I'm going to use their door frame but if you are using that to gauge if scale is correct in the game, 3 inches is a big deal. I felt like my head was scraping the top of the door.

#2. I'm 5 foot 8. The default height for a player is much taller. To adjust this go to the MyCharacter blueprint, click default and search for height. you want to set "capsule half height" to 1/2 your height in centimeters. My height is 172cm/2 = 86.

The next set of adjustments require a post processing volume. You can find it in "All Classes" if you don't have one. Drag it into your scene. search for unbound detail and check that so it applies to everything.

#3. There is a blur as you approach objects. This is an anti-alias method of temporal and it is super annoying. search the post processing volume for AA Method. Set that to none.

#4. Lens flare has to go. Search for Lens and set the Intensity and BokehSize to 0.

#5. Scenes in the rift get unusually bright. That is auto exposure. Search for exp. I don't know exactly the best settings but I am using min brightness = .5, max brightness = 1, auto exposure = 0.

The other thing that bothered me was the IPD feels different. Up to now I hadn't adjusted it on the DK1. UDK3 felt perfect. I had to adjust it for UE4 to make it not give me a headache.

That is a start I will update this thread when I am deep into development and have sorted through any other unpleasantness.

My initial impression with UE4 versus UDK3 is that it doesn't feel as nice in the Rift. UDK3 felt like Half Life 2 which was very 'crisp'. UE4 feels more 'fuzzy' like Unity. UE4 certainly comes packed with more flexibility but it feels like a step back for Rift support.
16 REPLIES 16

Gigantoad
Adventurer
"spyro" wrote:

Temporal aliasing gives fantastic results in VR as it kills nearly all the annoying pixel crawling. I would not recommend to deactivate it.
spyro

That's not true actually: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Oculus_Rift#Texture_Blurring_.2F_Vibrating

Maybe you meant FXAA?

spyro
Expert Protege
I know that article. But I tried it for myself with a modified Temple Demo (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14018, press T to toggle TAA). Don't know if they fixed some bugs in then meantime but it looks fantastic there. Not noticed any kind of texture vibrating but some cruelsome pixel crawling with FXAA and some issues with reflections (regardless of the aliasing method).

spyro

mrgreen72
Superstar
"kamau00" wrote:
#1. The scale of default door and frame are wrong. The door is 200cm tall. That is 6.56 feet. Doors in my house are 6.8 feet.

Do you really mean 6.8 feet or 6'8"?

6.56 (almost 6'7") seems about right to me...

bjw88
Honored Guest
Nick Whiting and Nick Donaldson on Epic's VR team gave a talk last year that included some steps on setting up a project for VR. They didn't cover size metrics like this post, but had some interesting information on setting up engine defaults. The video is here:

Here's a link to the slide deck: https://de45xmedrsdbp.cloudfront.net/Resources/files/UE4-Integration-and-Demos_OC-100270768.pptx

And here's the defaults Nick Donaldson recommends using in the DefaultEngine.ini render settings:
    r.SeparateTranslucency=0
    r.HZBOcclusion=0
    r.FinishCurrentFrame=1
    r.MotionBlurQuality=0
    r.PostProcessAAQuality=3
    r.BloomQuality=1
    r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
    r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
    r.SSR.Quality=1
    r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
    r.SceneColorFormat=2
    r.SSSSS=0
    r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
    r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=4
    r.MaxAnisotropy=8
    r.LensFlareQuality=0
    r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
    r.FastBlurThreshold=0
    showflag.decals=0
    r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
    r.compileshadersfordevelopment=0
    r.rhicmdbypass=0
    r.TiledReflectionEnvironmentMinimumCount=10

saviornt
Protege
Here are the GameEngine.ini settings from the ShowDown VR demo that was released:

[SystemSettings]
r.VolumeMultiplier=1.0
r.screenpercentage=130
r.SeparateTranslucency=0
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.FinishCurrentFrame=1
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=3
r.BloomQuality=1
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.SSR.Quality=1
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.SceneColorFormat=2
r.SSSSS=0
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=4
r.MaxAnisotropy=8
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
showflag.decals=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
r.compileshadersfordevelopment=0
r.rhicmdbypass=0
r.TiledReflectionEnvironmentMinimumCount=10

[Oculus.Settings]
bLowPersistenceMode=true
bUpdateOnRT=true

[/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
r.MobileHDR=True
r.AllowOcclusionQueries=True
r.MinScreenRadiusForLights=0.030000
r.MinScreenRadiusForDepthPrepass=0.030000
r.PrecomputedVisibilityWarning=False
r.TextureStreaming=True
Compat.UseDXT5NormalMaps=False
r.AllowStaticLighting=True
r.GBuffer=True
r.GenerateMeshDistanceFields=False
r.Shadow.DistanceFieldPenumbraSize=0.050000
r.TessellationAdaptivePixelsPerTriangle=48.000000
r.SeparateTranslucency=False
r.CustomDepth=0
r.DefaultFeature.Bloom=True
r.DefaultFeature.AmbientOcclusion=True
r.DefaultFeature.AutoExposure=True
r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=True
r.DefaultFeature.LensFlare=False
r.DefaultFeature.AntiAliasing=2
r.EarlyZPass=1
r.EarlyZPassMovable=True
r.ClearSceneMethod=1
r.MSAA.CompositingSampleCount=4
r.WireframeCullThreshold=5.000000

dummum
Honored Guest
Good info, thanks!

motorsep
Rising Star
What would be the settings for Gear VR for maximum performance ? (using standard materials and no dynamic lights; only baked lighting)