How to disable the vignette effect in UE4.6 ? — Oculus
Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

How to disable the vignette effect in UE4.6 ?

RickDangerousRickDangerous Posts: 86
Hiro Protagonist
edited December 2014 in Unreal Development
The new UE 4.6 is now using the 0.4.3 SDK and that means the vignette effect is being used when compiling your UE4 game.
How do I disable the vignette? I prefer to have the full FOV.

Comments

• artyom17artyom17 Posts: 319 Oculus Staff
    You can edit the Engine\Plugins\Runtime\OculusRift\Source\OculusRift\Private\OculusRiftHMD.cpp file. Search for the
    'ovrDistortionCap_Vignette' and remove it from the bitmask.

We are releasing UE4.5 and UE4.6 integrations with 0.4.4 SDK this week (available through our Downloads or github https://github.com/Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine (actually, 4.5.1 + 0.4.4 is already on the github). 0.4.4 has much smaller vignetting, so you might be satisfied with it w/o removing the flag 'ovrDistortionCap_Vignette'.
  • RickDangerousRickDangerous Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    I don't have a folder named private in:
    C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.6\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\OculusRift\Source\OculusRift
    only a public folder and it does not contain any cpp files
    Hmm.... Do you have full source code access?
    Anyway, UE4 4.6.0 + 0.4.4 SDK is just published (https://github.com/Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine/tree/4.6), it has much less vignetting.
  • tmektmek Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi I was reading through the commit logs and was curious about this one:

Integrating Editor changes to support 'VR Preview' mode.

What is VR Preview mode?
    Hiro Protagonist
    artyom17 wrote:
    Hmm.... Do you have full source code access?
    Anyway, UE4 4.6.0 + 0.4.4 SDK is just published (https://github.com/Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine/tree/4.6), it has much less vignetting.

I've just downloaded that now, build the complete code in vs2013 and launched the newly build ue4editor.exe. I then loaded my game and UE4 asked me to convert it to the new version.
    After the conversion everything looked right. Vignette effect is gone or at least much less pronounced. I also have the OculusRiftHMD.cpp file now.

But if I type OVRversion in the console I get the following log entry:
    Cmd: ovrversion
    4.6.0-0+UE4, LibOVR: 0.4.3, built Dec 5 2014, 17:27:38

I was expecting it would say 0.4.4.
    Am I doing something wrong here. Or is the Github you linked to not for SDK 0.4.4 but 0.4.3 ?
    tmek wrote:
    Hi I was reading through the commit logs and was curious about this one:

Integrating Editor changes to support 'VR Preview' mode.

What is VR Preview mode?

Added a new preview mode in the Editor to play the map in Oculus Rift (stereo rendering). Previously, to test your map in the Rift you had to use 'Standalone game' mode.
    But if I type OVRversion in the console I get the following log entry:
    Cmd: ovrversion
    4.6.0-0+UE4, LibOVR: 0.4.3, built Dec 5 2014, 17:27:38

I was expecting it would say 0.4.4.
    Am I doing something wrong here. Or is the Github you linked to not for SDK 0.4.4 but 0.4.3 ?

Have you downloaded and unpacked the prerequisite file ovr_ue4_4.6.0_github_prereq_0.4.4.zip? You should do it after you ran Setup.bat. And then you must rebuild everything.
    Hiro Protagonist
    artyom17 wrote:
    Have you downloaded and unpacked the prerequisite file ovr_ue4_4.6.0_github_prereq_0.4.4.zip? You should do it after you ran Setup.bat. And then you must rebuild everything.

Ok. I started all over and now it's using 0.4.4 SDK :D
    My game runs fine in editor but if I package the game I get a packaging error.
    The output log says:

Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): ErrorReporter.Error: ERROR: AutomationTool error: No files found to deploy for C:\Users\Gamer\Desktop\UnrealEngine-4.6\Engine\Binaries\Win32 with wildcard UE4Game-Win32-Shipping.exe and exclusions
    Packaging (Windows (32-bit)): BuildCommand.Execute: ERROR: BUILD FAILED

EDIT: never mind. It's working now. Not exactly sure why though. :D