Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Your participation on the forum is subject to the Oculus Code of Conduct.

In general, please be respectful and kind. If you violate the Oculus Code of Conduct, your access to the developer forums may be revoked at the discretion of Oculus staff.

being over clouds is still a missing VR experience. why?

steam25steam25 Posts: 61
Brain Burst
edited April 2015 in Game Design
hello crew,
when i hear about oculus first time i always think about the most beautiful experience in the world - to fly (or hover or stand) over the clouds with sunshine (or moon at night), blue sky and this wonderful free feeling to be around there... :cry:

my DK2 arrived about 200 days ago now. and even we have some nice "flying" simulators or demo experiences, which make me and all others want to vomit all over my desktop, the main idea is still missing. althought i think it should be not very difficult to make a demo like that. i cant do that, otherwise i would start that long time ago.
thats what i have in mind:

D4IGr9d.jpg

G33OTod.jpg

tV2zg4m.jpg

maybe dont need to fly. just a phantasy scene where you put the rift on and stand on a not moving thing (whatever) and just get the nice feeling to look down and see clouds passing by slowly below, maybe some far away mountains and green grass landscapes shining between the layers of clouds. hear the wind and nothing but silence.

if i tell people to come over and try the rift they always asking me wether its possible to fly. i always want say yes, but actually i cant get even 1 awesome demo in my mind where people can stand high up above the clouds and just look around. closest thing i have in mind would be the diorama: "der grosse gottlieb"

so my question is: how awesome would that be? and does anybody know an experience like that?
i would definitly pay money for a simple experience like this.

Comments

• steam25steam25 Posts: 61
    Brain Burst
    i reduce size for photos to 800x800 but still cant see them. how to fix that?! :roll:
  • saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
    NerveGear
    Because proper clouds are expensive as all hell. Expensive as in GPU / CPU processing power. For proper clouds, it needs to be a volumetric particle system.
    Brain Burst
    thats why i suggest anime scenes. dont need to be crazy realisic. i thought about that problem too. lets think more easy. it really dont need to be that fancy i think.
    how upload photos?!
  • saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
    NerveGear
    I use imgur: http://imgur.com/
    Brain Burst
    thanks buddy, here we go!

tV2zg4m.jpg

D4IGr9d.jpg

G33OTod.jpg
  • CorvusVRCorvusVR Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    Brain Burst
    uuuuh yes thats looking great. but i have only a DK2.
    :cry:
  • jaredskyjaredsky Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    There's definitely some technical challenges with providing a great experience from above. My company dSky has been thinking about this for a little while. We are working on a flying sim right that will allow you to know what it's like to fly as a famed virtual reality loving superhero who shall remain nameless!

Here's a screen:

tony.png

anyone else working on this? would love to see what the community is doing!