cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR Jam FAQ

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
For a full list of questions and answers for the Mobile VR Jam, please visit this page:

http://vrjam.challengepost.com/details/faq

Please let us know if you have any questions! 🙂
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
112 REPLIES 112

cybereality
Grand Champion
@sfaok: The point is that people should not take a previously released game and just submit it to the jam. If you want to make a sequel or spin-off based on the same world (with some of the same art, even) I think that should be fine as long as it's an original idea (i.e. not a straight port).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Gerald
Expert Protege
"sfaok" wrote:
... My ambition for this gamejam is to completely re-boot the idea for mobile, with brand new experimental input ...

Software must be controlled entirely by either (a) built-in functionality of the Samsung Gear VR Innovator’s Edition (i.e., head tracking or touch-pad interface), (b) a Samsung Gamepad or similar standard-configuration Bluetooth gamepad, or some combination of (a) and (b). Use of any other type of controller is prohibited.

I do not know if you mean a brand new input concept or actually an experimental controller - so I thought I warn you just in case. Love Crashland!!!
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

sfaok
Protege
@cybereality brilliant - thanks for clarifying.

@gerald - yeah I meant FPS input concept. Although I wish I had something more responsive than the Samsung gamepad! :?
Developer of Ocean Rift. Follow me on Twitter @sfaok

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
"ferdy182" wrote:
Do you guys know if it is possible to borrow a Gear VR + Note4 in Germany for the jam? I don't want to buy one just for the contest and we are already a team... Any info about this would be awesome. Thanks!

From another thread, as an FYI:

Hi Gear VR Jammers,

I've been working on getting Gear VR HW (including Note 4 devices) into "satellite" host locations. Sweden and Germany IGDA chapters haven't yet responded, as I see those two came up in this thread. If you are willing to host devs in your region, or can put me in touch with someone from the region who has a space which could be shared/used as a host site, drop me a PM and I'll work with you on getting a kit sent your way.

We're very excited to see your projects in the VR Jam!

Aaron Davies
Oculus Head of Partner Relations

EMcNeill
Honored Guest
"sfaok" wrote:
I have a question along similar lines -

In Summer 2013 I shared a motion control experiment called Crashland on Oculus Share, which was a Razer Hydra + DK1 only demo. My ambition for this gamejam is to completely re-boot the idea for mobile, with brand new experimental input, gameplay design, weapons, alien design (which I will model, rig, texture, animate) etc.

However I want to keep the name (working title Crashland Reborn) and general idea of a lone survivor swarmed by aliens, desert planet etc. Basically I really love the aesthetic I created with Crashland and want to use it as a canvas to explore untethered VR.

I assume this is ok because I am re-designing a brand new experience from the ground up for mobile? I intend to document / vlog the whole process too.

I asked on Reddit when this competition was announced and Palmer replied with "As long as it is an entirely new experience built for mobile, definitely. No problem with reusing names or aesthetics!" . But I just want to double check because I intend to pour everything I've got into this project.

I'm doing something similar, building something similar to a prototype I made for a hackathon a few months ago. It'll be much larger and built from scratch, of course. I spoke with Laird from Oculus at GDC, and he said it sounded fine. 🙂

kaz2057
Honored Guest
Dear VR Jam Team,

We are an Italian startup videogame company and we would join to this jam but reading your rules:
--
ELIGIBILITY: For the purposes of this Contest, the “Territory” means the United States, Canada (excluding Quebec), United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Switzerland, Norway, Poland, Austria, Belgium, Russia
--

It is possibile that Italy is not permitted to join to jam? Why?

Thanks,

cybereality
Grand Champion
If your country is not listed in the rules then, unfortunately, you will not be eligible. Sorry.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

bnolan
Honored Guest
Hey Cybereality,

I want to make a client for scenevr (opensource multiplayer VR) as part of the jam. SceneVR already has a browser based viewer for desktop, but I'll have to develop it from scratch in unity to be gearvr compatible. Is that allowed in the jam?
SceneVR - Social Virtual Reality in the browser.

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
"bnolan" wrote:
Hey Cybereality,

I want to make a client for scenevr (opensource multiplayer VR) as part of the jam. SceneVR already has a browser based viewer for desktop, but I'll have to develop it from scratch in unity to be gearvr compatible. Is that allowed in the jam?

Hello! If the multiplayer VR app/platform is rebuilt or redesigned enough for VR, then you're entry will be allowed. 🙂

Gerald
Expert Protege
"gypsy816" wrote:
"bnolan" wrote:
Hey Cybereality,

Hello! If the multiplayer VR app/platform is rebuilt or redesigned enough for VR, then you're entry will be allowed. 🙂

gypsy816 - it already is a VR app, so it will be a port from DK1/2 to GearVR I think.
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons