cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile VR Jam 2015 Judge Panel

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Hi all!

We’re pleased to announce your judge panel for the Mobile VR Jam 2015 finalists! We’ve selected a world-class set of VR and game industry veterans with a passion for virtual reality and its community. We’re pleased to introduce...

Palmer Luckey is the founder of Oculus and inventor of the Oculus Rift. Palmer’s interest in VR began at an early age where he spent time crafting and testing a variety of VR headsets. Palmer is currently focused on the development and upcoming release of the consumer Oculus Rift.

John Carmack is an industry luminary, with over two decades of game development experience during which he co-founded id Software, creators of Doom. John is currently the CTO at Oculus, where he’s developing the first mobile VR platform, Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition, powered by Oculus.

Robin Hunicke is Funomena's co-founder and CEO and is best known for her role as Executive Producer on the award-winning game, Journey. She’s an 18-year industry veteran and professor with a focus on game design, artificial intelligence, and experimental gameplay. Robin recently announced a collaboration with Oculus Story Studio.

Lydia Choy has spent 14 years working in film, games, and VR industries in the roles of programming, art, and VFX. During this time, Lydia contributed to many titles including Broken Age, Brutal Legend, Spore, and Star Wars Episode 3. She’s currently working at the Oculus San Francisco office on an unannounced project.

Brad Herman serves as the Head of DreamLab where his recent work includes DreamWorksVR, a virtual reality platform that lets users interact with DreamWorks Animation’s characters. He’s currently focused on building immersive and interactive experiences in storytelling including virtual reality, computer vision, and mobile devices.

Caitlyn Meeks-Ferragallo is co-founder and Manager of the Unity Asset Store. She also recently founded the Sonoma Center for Virtual Reality Arts in California whose goal is to strengthen the VR platform as a creative medium for arts and humanities through non-commercial VR incubation and an on-site resident artist program.

Laralyn McWilliams has designed award-winning FPS and MMO games during her 2-decade career in the games industry including Free Realms and Full Spectrum Warrior. She was on Beckett’s list of top women in MMOs and one of Gamasutra’s 20 most influential women in games. Laralyn is currently the Chief Creative Officer at The Workshop Entertainment.

Nick Whiting is currently overseeing the development of the award-winning Unreal Engine 4’s virtual reality efforts, as well as the Blueprint visual scripting system. He’s a lead programmer at Epic Games where he’s helped release several Unreal Engine installments along with Gears of War 3 and Gears of War: Judgement.

Caryl Shaw is an Executive Producer at Telltale Games where she’s currently focused on online and web features for Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones. In 17 years in the industry, Caryl has spoken internationally about running a live mobile game, lessons learned making a social game for Facebook, and putting user-generated content to work in video games.

Jeremy Gibson is the founder of ExNinja Interactive and a Lecturer at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor. He is the IndieCade Chair for Education and Advancement and wrote the book Introduction to Game Design, Prototyping, and Development, the #1 selling Unity book on Amazon. This summer, he will be kicking off InGaDeMo, the International Game Design Month, which encourages everyone to make a game in the month of July.

SDK and Unity Updates

We shipped the Oculus Mobile SDK v0.5.0 this week, and we recommend all developers update to this latest version.

Unity also released recent patches that fix a handful of bugs on Gear VR. If you’re using Unity, we recommend using either build 4.6.3p3 or 5.0.0p3. Note that Unity 5.0.0p3 has a memory leak Unity is currently addressing, but the build should otherwise work with the Gear VR.
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
9 REPLIES 9

cybereality
Grand Champion
A rock-star cast of judges! Nice job.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

marchansenj
Honored Guest
Wow what an awesome list of Judges.
It would be incredible to qualify as a finalist; just the idea of these people playing my game makes me giddy with excitement. 😄

Good luck to all with your projects!
Marc

Bino
Protege
Well this is nerve racking. I started programming because of Carmack. :shock:
CRT-X (Hotline Miami inspired VR shooter) https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/80394/dr-lucky-duck/p1?new=1 https://twitter.com/superteamone https://www.instagram.com/superteamone/

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
"Bino" wrote:
Well this is nerve racking. I started programming because of Carmack. :shock:

That's awesome! []D
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!

LucaMefisto
Explorer
This might be a VERY obvious question but:

Are all judges reading and seeing the videos again before playing any experience?

My game can be controlled with the Gamepad but that is not the idea at all, as stated in the video, and also benefits from some initial setup but can work without it. So seing the video before playing it to understand the controls is very important.

(I guess I'm a bit nervous at this point haha)

andrewtek
Expert Protege
"MephestoKhaan" wrote:
I guess I'm a bit nervous at this point haha

Which entry is yours?

LucaMefisto
Explorer
"andrewtek" wrote:
"MephestoKhaan" wrote:
I guess I'm a bit nervous at this point haha

Which entry is yours?

Apnea

andrewtek
Expert Protege
From your video, it looks cool and innovative. Good luck!

LucaMefisto
Explorer
"andrewtek" wrote:
From your video, it looks cool and innovative. Good luck!

Thanks! But my problem is that if they don't see the video first they might use a controller and not attach the microphone at all! so the innovation factor is lost haha