cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are people using to record demo videos?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there, I've tried several screen recording apps for GearVR to try and record demos from my Unity projects, but I can't seem to get anything that'll record more than a handful of frames per second. I've tried Lollipop Screen Recorder and Recordable at various settings, but the videos come out with unpredictable framerates, none of which are acceptable.

I'm assuming there's some solution I don't know about? What do folks use?

Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

rjmig88
Honored Guest
I'd suggest to make a standalone client build, which works just fine with the mobile SDK, and record video using Fraps.

HomerS66
Expert Protege
Recordable seems to work with the right settings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeoOCiGmtAc

Another app could be maybe mobizen.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"HomerS66" wrote:
Recordable seems to work with the right settings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeoOCiGmtAc

Another app could be maybe mobizen.

I tried Recordable with various settings but I get this odd behavior where it doesn't seem to capture frames for long stretches of time (3-5 secs), and then when it does, it's maybe, maybe 3 fps. The odd thing is when a system notification pops up (e.g. "bluetooth controller connected") it will record at much higher fps while the message shows, then it goes back to the old behavior. It seems to happen with several of these recording apps (also tried another app).

Anyone else getting this or maybe it's just my own setup? I'm using Unity 4.6.3 and Lollipop.

-j.

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"jeffjlin" wrote:

I tried Recordable with various settings but I get this odd behavior where it doesn't seem to capture frames for long stretches of time (3-5 secs), and then when it does, it's maybe, maybe 3 fps. The odd thing is when a system notification pops up (e.g. "bluetooth controller connected") it will record at much higher fps while the message shows, then it goes back to the old behavior. It seems to happen with several of these recording apps (also tried another app).

Anyone else getting this or maybe it's just my own setup? I'm using Unity 4.6.3 and Lollipop.

-j.

Did you try these settings?

"Start: Immediately
Countdown: None
Stop: On return to Recordable app
Stealth: Hide notifications (checked)
Frame rate limit: No limit
Scale: Half screen width and height
Quality: High definition (6400kbits/s)
Use Hardware: Hardware accelerated encoding
Hardware Mode: RGB (fast)
Limit resolution: Use display size (1440x2560) (unchecked)
Swap red and blue: Not swapped (unchecked)
Audio: Record: unchecked - see below!
Gestures: Draw: unchecked

The app can unfortunately only record at two resolutions, 2560x1440 and 1280x720. The former works, but only gets me an average 20 FPS or so, which isn't good enough. But 720p works great. There is some additional judder while running apps, but it is tolerable to me.

The catch is, I can't get the audio recording to work properly. Sometimes it would record the microphone instead of or in addition to device sound, sometimes it would record nothing at all. So, instead of messing around with it, I took the headphone out and fed it directly into my PC's mic in by a 1/8" male to 1/8" male cable (if you're out in the wild, you'll need to feed it into an audio recorder). I then sync and mux the audio and video in post (the audio required a little processing). I can use a splitter if I want to hear it myself on headphones."

Anonymous
Not applicable
yup, tried those settings, and then played with a few others.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has done the same (Recordable with a Unity-based app) and gotten similar/different results? the youtube demo is of the core GearVR experience which I'm guessing is all done in native code, not Unity.

CorvusVR
Protege
Use adb screenrecord for easy HQ recordings:

adb shell screenrecord --bit-rate 8000000 --time-limit 30 /sdcard/kitkat.mp4

The above command would record at 8Mbps, instead of the default 4Mbps, for a duration of 30-seconds and save it to the SD Card on your device with the name of KitKat.

braun0
Honored Guest
Has anyone here had success or found a better solution? I have been playing around with various apps for the past hour with very little success.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Still haven't found a solution that works to get on-device recording.

The suggestion to use adb screenrecord results in the same issues as the apps before (low or frozen screens, then the video "jumping forward"). Note that I'm running a Unity-based app.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The best bet is probably building for PC and then recording from the desktop (i.e. with FRAPS).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV