cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[APK] SteamCrew VR

KominAaa
Honored Guest
Hello everyone! We are a 4 people team from Agharta Studio and Blackmuffin, we worked on EpicDragon VR for 2013's VR Jam.

Our game is called SteamCrew VR and it offers players to play as treasure hunters Captain' Karkass and Ida Steele, crew of pirate steam submarine Rocketshrimp.
On a quest for the magical gems of the darkest abysses, they will face both the mysterious guardians of Yyl and vicious rival pirate submarines!

Challengepost link!

SteamCrew VR is now available for download!

The game requires 2 Gears on the same WiFi network to play.
It's not yet possible to steer the sub playing solo, we are working on that.

INSTRUCTIONS

- Pilot's seat, is responsible for navigation, steam tanks positions are marked on the Gyro Ring. STEER the ship through gaze while HOLDING on the touchpad. SWIPE FORWARD to ACCELERATE. SWIPE BACKWARD to REVERSE, engine consume steam. Check the submarine's steam level and current consumption. Toggles LIGHTS on/off by TAPPING on the button. Turning it off saves steam. At the gunner's signal, TAPPING on handles to FIRE torpedoes or rocket.

- Gunners's seat, is responsible for observation. detects enemy positions by TAPPING on the Sonar's button. AIM and lead targets with the turret through gaze while HOLDING on the touchpad. Shoot the back of enemies to score Critical hits (x2 damage) SWIPE UPWARD to CLIMB. SWIPE DOWNWARD to DIVE. Check the submarine's steam level and current consumption. Use Gyro Ring ring to communicate enemy position to the Pilot.

The game requires a lot of teamwork, communication and coordination.
So far our record is around 600.000 🙂

We'll be posting an instructional video soon to explain the gameplay in a more pleasant way.

--- Original post content ---

The last jam was a very cool experience so we thought we'd enter this one!

The project will be running on Unity4; that's a big challenge for us since we have no prior Unity experience 🙂

I'll try to update this devblog is often as we can with bits of game design, visuals, screenshots and hopefully videos (once we manage to record stuff on the Gear! )

In the meantime, we wish everybody good luck and great fun 🙂

Edit 04-23-2015: Logo Added
Edit 05-11-2015: APK Released
Edit 05-12-2015: Added Gameplay Video
Edit 05-19-2015: Switching all pictures from forum hosted to outside host
Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR! Follow us on Facebook!
77 REPLIES 77

KominAaa
Honored Guest
Hi again, it would be nice to show a bit more what the game will be like 🙂

We wanted to go for a Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea's styled Steampunk theme with dwarves to give the game a cool not too realistic yet immersive feeling!

Matthieu our concept artist has been working on a concept for the submarine's interior 🙂

Here are a few 3D drafts to check if stuff can fit in the submarine.

I'm working on the design at the moment. As you can see, it's going to be first-person and cockpit-based with a lot of interactions!
Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR! Follow us on Facebook!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Look forward to seeing what you guys come up with for this!

Bino
Protege
With regards to that last picture... Multi player VR submarine??? Yes please!
CRT-X (Hotline Miami inspired VR shooter) https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/80394/dr-lucky-duck/p1?new=1 https://twitter.com/superteamone https://www.instagram.com/superteamone/

KominAaa
Honored Guest
"Bino" wrote:
Multi player VR submarine??? Yes please!

Nice 😉 we wanted to keep that a secret for a little longer but well, it's getting obvious with the new screens!

Mathieu has been working on some more interior concepts;

I'm trying to find the best configuration possible to maximize the feeling of presence inside the ship (players seeing each other)
Here are two test shots of layout test.

Aurélien is starting working on getting the game's framework inside Unity, it's going to be hard. We want to implement lots of systems to allow intense collaboration from players but I'll explain more on that later!

mallmagician
Expert Protege
I'm not sure why. But this strikes me as being similar to lunar flight, but multiplayer controlled and under the Sea. I love it. Very exciting.

Well played. 🙂

KominAaa
Honored Guest
"mallmagician" wrote:
I'm not sure why. But this strikes me as being similar to lunar flight, but multiplayer controlled and under the Sea. I love it. Very exciting.

It is not one of our main inspirations but I can see the connection 🙂

Today we're starting working on the environment, here are some rocks I've been sculpting quick to build generated scenery 🙂

These 4 rock modules will be rotated randomly to offer some variation; they're a mix of rocks, corral and columns/temple structures.

Sandra has been working on Captain Karkass, the sub's dwarf pilot. He will be the one steering the ship, using and fixing weapon systems, also he will take care of some of the sub's maintenance.

Communication and teamwork are the main focus of SteamCrew VR, we want players to play in the same room and feel like they're aboard the same Submarine, seeing what their friend is doing, what he is looking at.
Every game element is designed to create interactions and discussions between players, which actions to take or what choices to make.

iloontjuh30
Explorer
Looks very good 🙂

KominAaa
Honored Guest
"iloontjuh30" wrote:
Looks very good 🙂

Thanks!

Sandra has been doing another concept, this is Ida Steele, the gunner. She'll generally be the eyes and ears of the Sub, will have to aim at other subs and do the engine maintenance!

Matthieu is working on some environment concepts. This is a rock on the style we are going for on this project. Simple and effective hand-painting and we'll have to simulate most of the lighting 🙂

We are working hard on getting stuff into the game, I'm done modelling, unwrapping and skinning the pilot, aside of building the cockpit which you'll see soon!

On the design side of things, this is getting clearer 🙂
I've been using the design techniques featured on this very cool channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_-IrHkpkqk
This is to make sure every feature we want to add serves the main focus or our project. So far it's been useful and with a bit of luck, every design bit might prove to be a relevant addition!

As you can guess, maintenance will be a big part of the game and we want players to argue about what system to fix first given the situation they're in!

Aurélien has a butt-ugly but working prototype with temporary assets, basic movement and networking are close to working! That means we'll have in-game shots soon hopefully !

RyuMaster
Honored Guest
This seems like a very cool idea, I wonder how its going to turn out in terms of game-mechanics, and I wish the best of luck to you 🙂