cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[APK] SteamCrew VR

KominAaa
Honored Guest
Hello everyone! We are a 4 people team from Agharta Studio and Blackmuffin, we worked on EpicDragon VR for 2013's VR Jam.

Our game is called SteamCrew VR and it offers players to play as treasure hunters Captain' Karkass and Ida Steele, crew of pirate steam submarine Rocketshrimp.
On a quest for the magical gems of the darkest abysses, they will face both the mysterious guardians of Yyl and vicious rival pirate submarines!

Challengepost link!

SteamCrew VR is now available for download!

The game requires 2 Gears on the same WiFi network to play.
It's not yet possible to steer the sub playing solo, we are working on that.

INSTRUCTIONS

- Pilot's seat, is responsible for navigation, steam tanks positions are marked on the Gyro Ring. STEER the ship through gaze while HOLDING on the touchpad. SWIPE FORWARD to ACCELERATE. SWIPE BACKWARD to REVERSE, engine consume steam. Check the submarine's steam level and current consumption. Toggles LIGHTS on/off by TAPPING on the button. Turning it off saves steam. At the gunner's signal, TAPPING on handles to FIRE torpedoes or rocket.

- Gunners's seat, is responsible for observation. detects enemy positions by TAPPING on the Sonar's button. AIM and lead targets with the turret through gaze while HOLDING on the touchpad. Shoot the back of enemies to score Critical hits (x2 damage) SWIPE UPWARD to CLIMB. SWIPE DOWNWARD to DIVE. Check the submarine's steam level and current consumption. Use Gyro Ring ring to communicate enemy position to the Pilot.

The game requires a lot of teamwork, communication and coordination.
So far our record is around 600.000 🙂

We'll be posting an instructional video soon to explain the gameplay in a more pleasant way.

--- Original post content ---

The last jam was a very cool experience so we thought we'd enter this one!

The project will be running on Unity4; that's a big challenge for us since we have no prior Unity experience 🙂

I'll try to update this devblog is often as we can with bits of game design, visuals, screenshots and hopefully videos (once we manage to record stuff on the Gear! )

In the meantime, we wish everybody good luck and great fun 🙂

Edit 04-23-2015: Logo Added
Edit 05-11-2015: APK Released
Edit 05-12-2015: Added Gameplay Video
Edit 05-19-2015: Switching all pictures from forum hosted to outside host
Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR! Follow us on Facebook!
77 REPLIES 77

Joyhype
Honored Guest
Very cool idea. I really dig the rocks :3
SaaS and Fullstack developer. Hobby Game developer.

sfaok
Protege
Really cool idea - looking forward to watching this come together!
Developer of Ocean Rift. Follow me on Twitter @sfaok

Dima
Explorer
I would love to ride that steam submarine.
Dmitry Kurilchenko [VR Jam 2015] Wendy

cybereality
Grand Champion
Nice low poly models.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Elvina
Honored Guest
Very interesting idea. Good concept-art.
I would like to play as one steam submarine crew with my friends.
But is there any possibility that I will be able to play even I’m just myself at home?

KominAaa
Honored Guest
"Elvina" wrote:
is there any possibility that I will be able to play even I’m just myself at home?

Thank you 🙂
For the jam it won't be possible. We might find ways to allow players to train afterwards, still the game is designed as a cooperative experience.

Ola! It's so great to see all these projects coming up on other threads, I love reading devblogs, it's so motivating!
On our side, things are pretty smooth aside of some Unity hickups ( I hear Aurélien swearing offensive french stuff at monodevelop every few hours!)
We have a working cockpit placeholder with two characters playing their animations, it's quite buggy but it works, networking works enough too!
At the moment we are trying to implement all the basic game features we have in mind to leave room for a refocus if things don't turn out to play that well 🙂

On the graphics part, Sandra designed our first and basic guardian, the Lamprey, the most common danger you'll find lurking in the depths.

Matthieu is working on a cool logo that really characterizes the gameplay and ambience, I'm hoping to have it soon!

I'm modelling, unwrapping and rigging so much that at night I have unwrapping nightmares, here are some shots of Ida both in a standard modelling pose and at her post.

We'll try video recording tonight!
Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR! Follow us on Facebook!

HomerS66
Expert Protege
Looks really promising but for a future release i hope that the game can also be played by 1 person or atleast by online multiplayer, as you dont always have other people around to play with. (Especially when additional hardware is needed)

KominAaa
Honored Guest
"HomerS66" wrote:
I hope that the game can also be played by 1 person or atleast by online multiplayer

We want to do online MP if we can afterwards but as you have to be in constant communication with the other player we will have to find ways to prevent trolling 😉

mallmagician
Expert Protege
Having a dk2 build alongside it should help out a lot of people. So they can use their dk2 and gearvr for co-op play with their friends locally

drash
Heroic Explorer
I'm excited for SteamCrew VR! Great name, concept art, and models so far, and given the developers building this, I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be able to crack the code for good multiplayer VR.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com