cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[APK] SteamCrew VR

KominAaa
Honored Guest
Hello everyone! We are a 4 people team from Agharta Studio and Blackmuffin, we worked on EpicDragon VR for 2013's VR Jam.

Our game is called SteamCrew VR and it offers players to play as treasure hunters Captain' Karkass and Ida Steele, crew of pirate steam submarine Rocketshrimp.
On a quest for the magical gems of the darkest abysses, they will face both the mysterious guardians of Yyl and vicious rival pirate submarines!

Challengepost link!

SteamCrew VR is now available for download!

The game requires 2 Gears on the same WiFi network to play.
It's not yet possible to steer the sub playing solo, we are working on that.

INSTRUCTIONS

- Pilot's seat, is responsible for navigation, steam tanks positions are marked on the Gyro Ring. STEER the ship through gaze while HOLDING on the touchpad. SWIPE FORWARD to ACCELERATE. SWIPE BACKWARD to REVERSE, engine consume steam. Check the submarine's steam level and current consumption. Toggles LIGHTS on/off by TAPPING on the button. Turning it off saves steam. At the gunner's signal, TAPPING on handles to FIRE torpedoes or rocket.

- Gunners's seat, is responsible for observation. detects enemy positions by TAPPING on the Sonar's button. AIM and lead targets with the turret through gaze while HOLDING on the touchpad. Shoot the back of enemies to score Critical hits (x2 damage) SWIPE UPWARD to CLIMB. SWIPE DOWNWARD to DIVE. Check the submarine's steam level and current consumption. Use Gyro Ring ring to communicate enemy position to the Pilot.

The game requires a lot of teamwork, communication and coordination.
So far our record is around 600.000 🙂

We'll be posting an instructional video soon to explain the gameplay in a more pleasant way.

--- Original post content ---

The last jam was a very cool experience so we thought we'd enter this one!

The project will be running on Unity4; that's a big challenge for us since we have no prior Unity experience 🙂

I'll try to update this devblog is often as we can with bits of game design, visuals, screenshots and hopefully videos (once we manage to record stuff on the Gear! )

In the meantime, we wish everybody good luck and great fun 🙂

Edit 04-23-2015: Logo Added
Edit 05-11-2015: APK Released
Edit 05-12-2015: Added Gameplay Video
Edit 05-19-2015: Switching all pictures from forum hosted to outside host
Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR! Follow us on Facebook!
77 REPLIES 77

KominAaa
Honored Guest
"drash" wrote:
I'm excited for SteamCrew VR! Great name, concept art, and models so far, and given the developers building this, I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be able to crack the code for good multiplayer VR.

Wow man thanks, that means a lot coming from a good VR dev like you, we hope to push VR as a positive social experience with player interactions 🙂

We did not have time to try recording the game yesterday but we are working on tweaking handling and basic enemy AI today 🙂

Here's the second Guardian we'll add; drawn by Sandra, it's shape will be tweaked to reflect his ingame behaviour when I'll model it.

I've been working really hard to get the cockpit done, here it is in all its Ambient Occlusive glory!

Thnak you everybody for the kind words !
Hi! Check our VRJam2015 entry SteamCrew VR, Our VR Game Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe VR and our VRJam2013 entry EpicDragon VR! Follow us on Facebook!

spinaljack
Protege
This is one of those games that make me go: Doh! Why didn't I think of that?

Looks like loads of fun if you can get Spaceteam (iOS) style elements in there which I think you mentioned as maintenance tasks.

KominAaa
Honored Guest
"spinaljack" wrote:
This is one of those games that make me go: Doh! Why didn't I think of that?

Looks like loads of fun if you can get Spaceteam (iOS) style elements in there which I think you mentioned as maintenance tasks.

It actually one of the main references we had in mind! We surely won't reach that level of complexity during the jam though, but we want to go towards the same game feel 🙂
I'm glad to see your team going for a similar coop experience, I really think this kind of experiences is what could make VR more fun, can't wait to try it!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I absolutely love the concept for this game, and the graphics are looking amazing!! I'll second the request for a one-player mode (eventually). Even if it just allows us to explore the environment without gameplay, that'd be great!

KominAaa
Honored Guest
Hi! It's week 2 of the jam already! Damn we spend a lot of time with trial and error on anims... but still here is some ingame stuff!

Also a first video recorded via the Recordable app!

Music is Impact Lento by Kevin MacLeod

spinaljack
Protege
OMG that video looks so good! I think you're on to a winner there.

KominAaa
Honored Guest
"spinaljack" wrote:
OMG that video looks so good! I think you're on to a winner there.

Thanks a lot man, there is still a ton of stuff on our todo list before this is a proper game though 😄

IrikGabitov
Honored Guest
Really good game. Waiting for texture pass! Geo looks clean and sweet 8-)

Devster3
Honored Guest
This looks very promising. Great use of multiplayer and seated experience. Looking forward to testing this.

WhelanWeb
Honored Guest
This looks great. Cant wait to try it out. Getting this done in 4 weeks looks like it will be a challenge but it really looks fantastic.
Got a game in development or a cool piece of VR tech you want to show off? We are looking for demos, trailers and all things VR. Just send us a mail and we would be more than happy to feature it on our site. http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com